Chapter 14 Down to earth

"Did the king grand your request to visit your friend?" Ariane walked beside Vara across the courtyard that led towards the gardens.

Vara looked up from her thoughts and glanced at the girl next to her. The conversation she'd had with king Marcos two days ago was still fresh in her mind and haunted her every step. She hadn't thought of much else. Shamefully she admitted that for a moment she had forgotten about Eunice and Antonia. "I did not get the chance to speak to him about it," she said. But now that Ariane had mentioned it, Vara decided not to ask at all. She would simply go. She'd had enough of court intrigue for the time being.

She had never realized how deep a game the king had been playing.

Perhaps she should have known.

"I think I will visit her today  though," Vara said casually, "I'm sure the king won't mind. I will leave a  message with the lady Eurydice." She looked at Ariane. "Why don't you come with me? I believe Cyrus had promised to show you the lake. He won't join us today, but I can show you in his stead."

Vara had noticed how uncomfortable Ariane was in the presence of common people. Perhaps a visit to Dalós would cure her of such absurdity. And if not, at least it would provide Vara with some entertainment. In her heart, she knew her resentment towards Ariane was uncalled for, but she could not help herself.

In any case, the king had ordered her to make the Tirzé girl feel at home. What better way to do that than to have her make acquaintance with the local village?

Ariane looked at her uncertain. "Me? Join you? What would the king say? I am his guest."

"And you will be queen some day," Vara replied, "you will marry Cyrus after all. It might be good to know the villages and for them to know you."

Some distance behind them, Torcan was listening in on their conversation. Darius had told him to keep an eye on lady Vara. Her proposition to Ariane sounded perfectly nice, but he couldn't help but wonder if there were any hidden motives.

"I... I don't know," Ariane said hesitantly, "I am not much of a rider." She was sure she had mentioned that.

"It's not that far a  walk," Vara shrugged, "only an hour or so. And it is a lovely day."

Ariane bit her lip. An hour's walk? She could not do that. "Is there not a carriage for us to use?" she asked quietly. She had traveled in one last time. Were the roads even safe?

"Well, I suppose I could arrange for some carriers," Vara mused. She looked over her shoulder at Torcan. "What do you think?"

Torcan cleared his throat. "It is not my place to say, my lady. All I know is that I am charged with the safety of lady Ariane." He paused. "I have to say, lady Vara, that I am surprised the king would allow us to leave the palace grounds unattended."

Vara smiled innocently. "But we won't be unattended. You will be there to assure our safety. I have full confidence in your ability to keep both myself and your lady safe."

Torcan had no choice but to bow. "Of course, my lady." It would be his duty to protect the king's daughter. That did not mean it made him comfortable. He did not know these lands well. He did not know what to expect. "But I would feel safer if you took with you a  personal guard," he continued.