Chapter 34 To be a queen

After a two day ride, they had finally arrived in Tolais, the capital of Lavos, and were greeted by king Elon and his family.

Byron grinned widely when he dismounted and caught a woman around the waist. He whirled her around as she clung to him, and kissed her.

Darius could only assume this was princess Eloni, his wife, and rolled his eyes. You'd think Byron had been gone for months instead of the better part of a week judging by her greeting.

King Elon cleared his throat and the couple broke apart, a deep blush on Eloni's face while her husband chuckled content. Eloni turned to Darius and curtsied. "Prince Darius, be welcome at our court. We hope your stay will be enjoyable."

"Yes," Darius answered dryly, "I hope so too."

King Elon now stepped forward, shadowed by a line of women. He smiled at Darius. "Now that my daughter has remembered her manners, I would like to welcome you in Tolais, prince Darius of the house Tirzé. Please meet my wife, Queen Loise Fraise. And my daughters; my heir, princess Eloni, and my other daughters; princess Eloise, princess Elora, princess Elvira, and lastly our little one, princess Elena."

Each of the girls curtsied as their name was being called, except for the youngest. Elena pouted and crossed her arms. "I am not little," she stated, "I am almost seven."

"Oh yes, very big indeed," one of her sisters said, while rolling her eyes, "you can almost reach the door handles."

Elena stuck out her tongue.

"Elena! Elvira!" the second daughter hissed, "we have guests! Apologize!" She looked at her sisters mortified.

Elvira let out a heavy sigh and turned her eyes towards the sky while her younger sister only pouted once more.

"I ask your forgiveness for my inappropriate behavior," Elvira said monotonously, "I will assure you that it will not happen again. Please do not let this incident taint your perception."

Torcan, who stood at Darius' shoulder, hid a smile. It seemed this wasn't the first time princess Elvira was reprimanded. She sounded like she was reciting a well-rehearsed play.

Byron chuckled again. "Still argumental eh, Elvi. Behave now or I won't give you the bookrolls I brought back for you."

Elvira's eyes went wide in anticipation.

"Do you have a present for me too?" Elena asked hopefully.

"Maybe," Byron said slyly, "but only if you behave. You wouldn't want our guests to think you were raised by animals."

"I like animals!" Elena pointed out.

King Elon cleared his throat again. "Why don't we go inside? I'm sure our guests would appreciate some rest and would like to clean up before dinner tonight. Eloni, are the rooms prepared?"

His oldest daughter nodded at her father. "Everything is ready, father. There is food and wine in their chambers and water if they wish to bathe."

King Elon nodded content. "Good, thank you. Prince Darius, if you and your servant would follow then a servant will point you towards your room. After dinner we will talk. Welcome to Lavos."

***

Vara looked over her shoulder at Ariane and withheld a sigh. After what had happened with the village in Sylice, both women were still a bit unsettled. As soon as they had returned home, arrangements had been made. King Marcos had sent soldiers to aid the Strega family. A healer was treating the injured and new homes were being sought for those who had lost everything. There wasn't much either Vara or Ariane could do, but they could help distributing food and blankets. So by the king's wishes, Vara had asked Ariane to join her, seeing how she would be queen one day and these things would be her responsibility.