Chapter 41 King Darius

Elora hesitated in the doorway before approaching her husband. Though they had gotten used to each other these past few days, she still didn't know him that well. Darius was unpredictable and in this kind of situation, she didn't know how he would react. He had lost his father. No doubt he would be upset, but she wasn't sure how close the two had been. And it wasn't just a father he had lost but also a king.

And that role now fell on him.

Darius was staring out of the window in deep thought. He barely noticed his wife's presence. It was true his father had been ill for a very long time. Still, his death had come so sudden.

Yesterday, he'd still been prince regent. Now he was king. Was he even ready for that task?

He looked up when he caught movement in the corner of his eye. Torcan had stood up and made a deep bow. "My queen."

Darius turned around. Elora had stopped a few feet away in a deep curtsy. Her eyes were lowered to the ground. She seemed to be waiting for something.

Darius blinked and cleared his throat.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Empty words. She knew that, but she didn't know what else to say.

"Thank you," Darius answered to her surprise. He didn't quite seem to know the proper response either.

It gave her courage and she walked up closer to him. "What will happen now?"

The king had been lied to rest with his ancestors. A period of mourning had been declared across the land. After that, Darius would be officially crowned king. The tribal leaders and ruling lords of the provinces would come to Tirzé to swear loyalty to their new king.

"Now I am king," Darius answered simply.

Elora nodded. "I notified my father. I'm sure he will come to the crowning ceremony. Or he'll send Byron and Eloni. Will your sister come?" She bit her lip, unsure if the question had been appropriate. The last thing she wanted was to anger him.

Darius blinked. His sister? Did she even know? Had he even informed her? He couldn't quite remember. The past few days were a blur, one string of arrangements to be made, documents to be signed, condolences to accept.

Beside him, Torcan made a slight bow. "I have sent a messenger," he offered quietly, "she would not have been able to make it to the funeral, but I am sure she and prince Cyrus will attend the coronation."

Darius gave a nod in his direction. "Your father will come too," he commented, "perhaps your brother will be with him."

The sudden realization made Torcan nervous for a moment. It had been so long since he'd seen his family. Mikos would be almost fifteen by now. Had his father told him about his older brother? Did his father sill consider him his son? "Perhaps," he acknowledged Darius' words. He nodded to himself. Yes, they would both come. And even though he couldn't influence the outcome, it would still be good to see them again.

...

Ariane sat quietly in the corner of her room. She had been crying for days and now all her tears had dried. When the messenger had arrived, her father had already been buried. She knew she would never have been able to make it in time, but she regretted not having had the chance to say goodbye. She had never seen much of him during her life, and now she never would again. And her father would never see his grandchild. Ariane's hand moved to her belly. It had grown so round. Travelling to her brother's coronation would be a challenge.

It would be strange to see Tirèze again. She wondered if it had changed much.

A knock on the door announced a visitor and the servant girl Chloe hurried to answer. "My lady," she said, "the prince asks if you are ready."