Chapter 67 Informants

Lord Vertus hadn't complained much when prince Cyrus had informed him he would ride with him to his estate in order to inspect the border defenses. But Chloe supposed there had been no plausible excuse to protest, especially after the attack on Boncini and the fortification.

It had been significantly longer to travel North with a large company. Chloe was glad when they had finally arrived. No one questioned her presence once it was made clear she was a servant in prince Cyrus' party. She had been appointed a small side room in prince Cyrus' chambers. There weren't many chores to be done. The prince dressed himself and house servants kept the room in order. The only thing that fell on Chloe was arranging for his meals to be brought up.

It gave her plenty of time to roam the grounds and fish for information. She made sure not to ask too many questions at first. If the other servants thought her nosy, they wouldn't say anything at all later on. Instead, she merely listened to their conversations and paid attention to who came and went.

She knew it wasn't likely there would be suspicious visitors as long as prince Cyrus was here, but there had to be a way the traitors communicated. Even if only to say now wasn't the time to act.

Prince Cyrus was gone for the day to check the defenses. Lord Iolaus had ridden with him. That left Chloe on her own today. She brought in the tray with empty plates from prince Cyrus' room and placed them on the countertop in the kitchens. The staff was bustling about to prepare lunch and the evening meal. Choe wondered silently if it was always this busy here or if it was only because the crown prince was visiting. Things at Boncini were so much more relaxed. And they still had decent meals.

She sighed. Boncini was so much more homely.

Chloe's eyes fell on a basket with food that was put aside near the back door. Not a moment later, a servant picked it up and slipped outside.

Chloe bit her lip and moved towards the same door as unobtrusive as possible. It was highly suspicious for a food basket to be taken out the back. The lords had already left early morning and had not ordered food to be prepared. Quietly, she followed the servant at distance. The last thing she wanted was to draw attention.

She pressed up against the wall when the servant stopped in a secluded part of the estate. The basket was placed on the ground and the servant returned the way she had come.

Quickly Chloe hid behind a stack of wood until the woman had passed. Carefully Chloe glanced in the direction of the basket. Another figure slipped out from one of the side buildings and picked up the basket before slipping through a fence.

Chloe tiptoed towards the fence and peeked through. The mysterious newcomer mounted a horse and rode East.

A sigh escaped Chloe's lips. She could hardly keep up with a horse. At least she knew the direction it had taken. She wasn't sure what it all meant, or if it was even related to treason, but she would inform prince Cyrus. He could investigate the matter.

Silently Chloe returned to the Main House, but instead of risking the kitchens again, she took the regular servant entrance. If anyone were to ask questions, she could just say she stepped out for some fresh air.

...

To say Mikos was nervous to return home was an understatement. He had spent several days in the capitol with his brother and king Darius where he had received instructions.

A rider had been sent out to find the nomad tribe of the girl Malati. Mikos knew it would take time to locate them since the moved around, but he trusted the king. He just hoped the girl would accept him.