Chapter 31 First in line

"Next time, my lady, I hope to bring you for a visit to my lands. I don't believe you have ever seen it?" Riccardo Prias guided her back to the carriage. They had been visiting the lake outside of her birth village Dalós and had lunch on the surrounding meadow.

He was pleasant company, not shallow as Felix Matís but courteous and polite. Having recently inherited his father's lands, he was now looking for a wife to strengthen his position.

Vara inclined her head politely and allowed him to help her into the carriage. "I have not. If the king permits it, I would be pleased to see it."

Riccardo smiled at her. "I will look forward to it." He climbed into the carriage and sat down across from her. Slowly the carriage pulled onto the road, back to the palace. Vara relaxed into the pillows. She was glad to have the day over with. The past days had been one long string of suitors, presents, and polite conversations. Next week, the king had arranged for her to visit the Strega family to meet with Hector, another one of her suitors. And seeing that the Stregas were related to the crown, Cyrus would also come with Ariane.

It wasn't something to look forward to, though Vara figured Cyrus would behave well enough considering this was his family.

"I have to say, lady Vara, I was quite honored that you'd consider my request. I know I am older than most of the eligible men."

"Just because they are younger, does not mean they are more suitable, lord Prias," Vara answered, "even though Cyrus will inherit the throne, it does not mean I don't have to think of the crown when I marry. I too, have to consider what will benefit the kingdom most."

"I understand," Riccardo nodded, "I do hope that does not mean your choice will be solely based on benefits. I hope some feelings will be involved."

"Love needs to grow, lord Prias," Vara said quietly, "I'd rather not make such promises. I do not lightly give my heart."

"Of course," Riccardo answered, "and I commend you for that. Too many a young lady tries to gain favor of the wealthy young men to marry for riches. You put the need of others first."

"It's my duty," Vara answered, "as someone who has only recently gained position I am sure you understand."

"Ah yes... duty," Riccardo sighed, "duty is a heavy burden that shouldn't be carried alone."

"I'll keep that in mind," Vara said with a faint smile.

The carriage had pulled to a stop. "We're here, my lady," Iason said from his horse. He had been riding beside the carriage.

Riccardo climbed out and assisted Vara. "Until we meet again, my lady."

Vara curtsied. "Thank you my lord. I had a wonderful time." She stayed in the courtyard until the carriage had disappeared down the road and she let out a heavy sigh.

Iason's eyes rested on her gently. "He seems like a good man," he commented. He had spent the day in their company and not once had Riccardo Prias overstepped his boundaries. He wasn't arrogant, nor did he flaunt his wealth. He didn't flirt or make empty promises. Perhaps it was the man's age, not as old as the king, but past the recklessness of youth. Perhaps it was something else, Iason did not know enough of the man to judge on that. He seemed trustworthy. A good match and a suitable husband for any young lady.

Vara sighed and nodded. "He is," she agreed, "any girl would be fortunate to marry him."

"Perhaps you should consider him," Iason suggested. She would have a good life if she did, though it would be far away from court. But maybe it would be better that way.