Chapter 63 Never the same

"You were right," Darius spoke once he and Torcan were alone, "about the girl."

Torcan looked up confused, but then a slow smirk appeared on his face. "Did the great Darius Tirzé just admit someone was right other than himself?"

Darius scowled. "There's no need to rub it in. Careful or I'll take it back."

Torcan chuckled lightly. "So what is it exactly I was right about? "

"I'm not saying I like her," Darius said, "she is still infuriating and rude. But she is not after fortune and fame as I initially believed. It seems she let go of prince Cyrus and settled for a life with that soldier. She seems to genuinely care for him."

Torcan sighed sadly. "It is not 'settling'. She loves him. It was never about position, Darius. Yes, they cared for each other. Perhaps they still do, but Vara has never acted on it. I told you this."

Darius poured himself a goblet of wine and ran a hand across his face. The experience he had with women told him they were all after high positions. In Tirèze, it was all they could achieve to secure a good future. Zara had been like that. When he had first met Vara, she had reminded him of his wife. Sharp tongued, arrogant, hotheaded. It was obvious to him that she and prince Cyrus loved each other. He had convinced himself Vara was just like Zara, manipulative and greedy. He had stubbornly held on to that image of her throughout the years.
Now, after seeing her at Boncini, he reluctantly had to admit to himself that his depiction of her had been wrong. He had heard the men talk about how she had fought alongside them without food and rest. He knew from Torcan she was a good archer. And in the absence of Iason, she had been the one to have to make all the decisions. With the limited resources she'd had, she had done a good job. She was brave. And her reaction when Iason had returned was not an act.

Darius sighed. "Alright. I believe you."

An amused smile played on Torcan's lips. "Hmhm," he mused, "so you will give her a chance then?"

Darius put his goblet down and gave his friend an annoyed glare. "Talk about what we should do about your father," he said, ignoring Torcan's previous comment.

Torcan blinked confused. "Huh?"

"He is undermining my authority," Darius said, "he had no intentions of sending men to Boncini. What your brother said concerns me."

Torcan hesitated. "I don't think he will be bold enough to move against you."

"But you are hesitant to trust him."

"I haven't seen him since I was a child," Torcan said, "back then, I didn't concern myself with politics. I have seen how he acts with Mikos. I know he is ambitious, but not that ambitious." He sighed. "Have him under supervision, but without him realizing. That way, when he steps out of line, you can take appropriate action."

Darius thought it over. "I have considered it, but I can't simply place one of my men in his household."

"Perhaps you don't need to," Torcan said, "there is someone already in the Salvire household who is eager to prove himself."

Darius frowned. "You mean.."

"Yes," Torcan nodded, "Mikos."

...

"How are you feeling?" Cyrus asked his wife as they prepared to go to bed, "what was it like to see your brother again? "

"Good," Ariane gave a small smile, "he has changed. Marrying Elora was good for him. I hope I will get to meet her one day. Torcan told me she is very kind."