Chapter 92 Fathers and sons

It was strange to be back home again, even if it hadn't been that long.

Home.

Lucius let out a sigh. It didn't really feel like home. The few days they had been here now, he had barely seen his father.

If anyone found it odd that Lucius had arrived with his aunt Vara and uncle Iason, no one said anything. Now he was standing in attendance next to his father, as the king read out all the rewards that were granted to each individual soldier.

He tried to pay attention. He knew it was important, and he had promised his aunt Vara he would treat it as an assignment.

Lower ranked soldiers mostly received extra wages or a new weapon. High ranked officials were rewarded a horse or a title. The noble born were granted more land, horses, privileges.

The line never seemed to end.

The banquet lasted for five days, and when it finally ended, he only felt drained. He knew he couldn't avoid a confrontation with his father forever. So when the last guests had finally left Auros, he knew he couldn't put it off any longer.

Lucius stood awkwardly in the corner of the salon, waiting for his father and grandfather to arrive.

He stole a glance at his aunt and uncle. They were seated near the fireplace, enjoying some refreshments while softly conversing with each other. In a day or so, they would return to Boncini.

And he would stay behind in a place where he'd be subdued to the same old routine.

He'd be all alone again. He doubted anyone here would let him help clean the stables and feed the animals. It would be lesson after lesson, and quiet dinners that only made him feel awkward. Everything here was always so formal.

The door opened and Lucius tensed, but it wasn't his father. It was his great-grandmother. She had stayed in her quarters mostly these past few days. Her age and heath couldn't take large crowds for long anymore. But now that all the guests had returned home, she came to spend time with her family. Lucius knew his great-grandmother adored aunt Vara.

Lady Eurydice kissed Vara's cheek and embraced Iason before turning to Lucius. She smiled lovingly at him. "Come, my boy," she said, "let me look at you. You have grown in the month you've been away. It must be the country air." She cupped his face and planted a kiss on his forehead. "Did my Vara take good care of you, child? Did you like Boncini? It was your father's favorite place as a child."

"Yes, grandmother," Lucius whispered.

"Lucius is doing great," Vara smiled, "our horses have never looked shinier and our chickens are fattening up nicely."

An amused smile appeared on lady Eurydice's face. "Do they now? I am glad to hear it."

The door opened again, and this time it really was Cyrus. He entered the room behind the king who took position at the fireplace. Cyrus took a seat across from Vara.

"That was the last of it," king Marcos spoke tiredly. Apparently it was a continuation of a conversation he'd been having with Cyrus before entering the room "Arrangements have already been made. You can handpick your own guard. I have instructions for the soldiers that are residing there at the moment. They are to return to Auros and report to me after they have transferred Vertalis to you. Once they present themselves to me, they will receive a generous reward. Bring order back to Vertalis, son. We need to carefully consider who will be suited to take permanent position there. It is not a decision to be made lightly."

"I already agreed to go," Cyrus said annoyed.

The king narrowed his eyes. "Will you quit sulking like a child! This is a great opportunity for you. You will rule this kingdom one day. Show me you can rule a province." His eyes shifted towards Lucius, who had been trying hard not to be noticed. "Lucius will accompany you. He can resume his lessons there. Take his teachers with you. It's time he learns about the kingdom outside of these walls. Now that we've won the war, it will be safe enough to take him with you to border inspections. It will give him a better understanding on our defenses."