Chapter 8 You won't be mine

Please listen to the song on the side :) I thought it was fitting :)

The engagement had been announced last night. In a matter of seconds, her whole life had been turned upside down.

Vara sat quietly across from lady Euridice. The old woman gave her a sympathetic look. “Ah child,” she said, “I know this must be hard on you, but you knew it was coming.” She paused and pushed a platter of dates towards Vara. “He could do worse, you know.”

Vara narrowed her eyes. “She is hardly a queen. She barely says a word and she’s afraid to look anyone in the eye. How can she ever support Cyrus when he’s on the throne?”

“Like you can, you mean?” Euridice asked pointedly.

“She can’t even pronounce his name right!” Vara argued.

Euridice’s eyes were warm as they looked at the girl. She knew very well how heartbroken Vara felt and she felt sorry for the girl. She deserved to be happy.
“There is more to being a queen than being able tot look people in the eye, Vara,” she said reprimanding, “and the lady Ariane is a king’s daughter. You can be sure she was raised in the duties that come with that title.” She smiled at Vara. “That doesn’t mean he won’t come to you for advice or company. You will always be his friend.”

Vara sighed in defeat. “How can I ever be his friend?”

“You will find a way,” Euridice said, “you must.” She cupped Vara’s cheek. “I’m not saying this to hurt you, child. It is for your own safety.”

“I love him,” Vara whispered. She stared at the table, but her eyes held  faraway gaze. She had thought she had come to terms with it. That she had accepted this engagement. But it was so hard. And so unfair.

“I know child,” Euridice said. She patted Vara’s hand. “I wish there was some other way, but there isn’t. You need to be strong. And supportive. And brave.” She tugged a strand of hair behind Vara’s ear. “And I know you are capable of doing those things.”

There was a knock on the door. “Grandmother?”

Vara flinched. Thee was a panic in her eyes. “I don’t want him to find me here,” she whispered at Euridice.

The old woman nodded in understanding. “The bedroom,” she said urgently and she pulled Vara to her feet. Gently she tugged the girl towards the bedroom and closed the door. Then she calmly walked to the other door and let her grandson in. “Cyrus, “ she said warmly, “what brings you to visit your old grandmother?”

“I need to speak with you,” he answered and he sunk down on a bench.

“What is it?” Euridice asked, though she had a feeling she already knew. She sat down across from him and watched him patiently.

Cyrus sighed and rested his head in his hands. “This marriage,” he said, “this union that is forced on me. I don’t want it. But I have no choice.”

“It is not so bad,“ Euridice spoke comforting, “the lady Ariane is a good woman. She is pretty.  I am sure she will make a good wife.”

“But I don’t love her,” Cyrus said frustrated.

Euridice shook her head. Young people these days were so impatient. “Love isn’t something that happens overnight, Cyrus,” she said, ”it needs to grow. And you need to give it a chance to grow.”

“I already love someone else,” Cyrus muttered.

Euridice sighed and stood up. She walked to the table and filled the goblet Vara had been drinking from moments ago. Now she handed it to her grandson. Carefully she sat down again. “Drink up and listen tome carefully,” she said in a serious tone, “you must never speak of it to anyone. Already too many people are aware of your feelings. Do not let it be used against you. Or against her. Do you hear me, Cyrus?” She waited until he looked at her. “It may have been a long time ago, but some people will remember where she came from. We can’t use any scandal. Especially in times of war. We need stability and peace most of all, we need this alliance. You cannot jeopardize it.”