Chapter 36 The chosen one

The entire palace had been in an uproar ever since they had returned three weeks ago. Zara had been furious when the guard had escorted her out of her wing and into the harem. She had been cursing and threatening for all the palace to hear. Darius hadn't been worried in the slightest, but Torcan had deemed it wise to gather a few trustworthy men to guard the prince's new bride for the time being. He made sure the entire women's quarters were combed out top to bottom to check on any poison, weapon or other threat that might make the new resident's life cut short. Just to be certain, he had every item that had belonged to Zara removed, from bedding to leftover perfumes. All had been replaced and was now ready.

Elora was like a breath of fresh air, kind to the servants without losing authority. Being free to do as she pleased in the women's' quarters, she had already set up an inner garden with flowers from home.

Zara had never bothered with niceties except to indulge herself. Her only desire had been jewelry and rich clothing, along with expensive perfumes.

Elora mixed her own perfumes from the flowers she grew. She had ordered fresh flowers to be placed in every room in the women's quarters, and the whole wing now looked bright and inviting.

Definitely an improvement.

In other aspects, the girl had much to learn. Having been raised in Lavos made it hard for her to adjust to the Tireze lifestyle. She was trying, but the servants weren't used to her playful nature which led to many misunderstandings.

Likewise, Darius didn't seem to be sure how to handle his new wife. He was stiff but polite. That was at least more than he had been with Zara.

Torcan sighed and settled himself. It was a rare occasion that he had some time to himself, but Darius was with Elora and would not require him for a while.

Torcan unfolded the letter he had received. Another one from Vara, telling him about the disasters with her suitors and the attack on Sylice in the South. His heart went out to her. He hoped she would find someone to share her life with, preferably away from court.

He was pleasantly surprised when he read Ariane was slowly growing more comfortable in her role. She and Cyrus might not be close yet, at least she wasn't afraid to speak to him anymore.

Torcan smiled. It wasn't much, but there was progress. He folded the letter and placed it on the table. He wondered if Darius realized his new wife was much like Vara. Elora might not be as sharp-tongued, she still had the same spirit.

Perhaps it would be a good thing. It might reign in Darius' temper a bit.

Torcan stood up and walked towards the window. It was a nice day. He might get some training in or a ride, before Darius would need him again. He should make use of the opportunity. Soon enough his duties would claim him again.

...

"I can't believe your brother remarried," Vara commented to Ariane. Both girls had received a letter from Torcan, informing them about recent developments. The two of them sat in Ariane's chambers, sharing lunch. Cyrus was in a meeting with the Council to discuss border patrols.

Vara hadn't really wanted to spent time with her somewhat-sister-in-law, but couldn't decline the girl's personal invitation without coming off as rude. So now she was forced to uphold strained conversation until Cyrus returned.

Ariane bit her lip. She hadn't expected it either, but perhaps it shouldn't have surprised her this much. She remembered how Zara had spoken last time they met, about not wanting to give Darius a child. Maybe she was paying the price now. "I'm sure he has his reasons," she said.