Chapter 79 Brothers in arms

Felix Matís couldn't stop laughing at the sight of the two former lords in the cells across from his. A miserable sight, two failed traitors licking their wounds. It was the only source of amusement he had in this place, but it sure was entertaining.

They had been brought in several days ago, battered and bruised and worse for wear with dirtied clothes and unwashed bodies. Such a predicament for two men that were used to luxury and servants tending to their every need.

Felix didn't feel a shred of sympathy for them. They hadn't lifted a finger when he had been arrested, too concerned their own disloyalty would come to light.

The irony of it brought about another round of laughter. What would have made things even more perfect was if his father had been arrested too, but ,alas, the lord of Matís remained loyal to the house Aurelios. Perhaps even more so now that Vertalis was up for grabs. Felix wondered who would be rewarded with the rule of the estate, and the vast province that came with it. It was too valuable to leave vulnerable for long, being located so near the border with Balor.

Not that it was any of his concern.

Across from him, lord Atoli narrowed his eyes. "Hold your laughter, Felix Matís," he growled annoyed, "you're in no position to mock us." In truth, it had taken the two men quite some time to even recognize Felix. Years of imprisonment hadn't done him much good in the looks department. Soon, this would be their fate too.

Felix chuckled some more. "On the contrary," he said amused, "I'm in the perfect position. After all, I know what it is like to cross daggers with the house Aurelios, so to speak. And you were so close, weren't you? Attacking Boncini was your downfall. You know how precious dear Vara is to them. You should have left well enough alone. At least until you actually had Zeir in your control."

Lord Atoli scoffed in frustration. The boy made sense. He had overplayed his hand. If only he had waited a few more weeks. He should have seen his daughter wed first to that Salvire boy. His glare settled on his brother-in-law who had been too eager to gain control, and held a grudge against Vara for not accepting his son.

He blamed Izem di Salve too, who should have withheld his men for coming to Boncini's aid. If he hadn't broken his word, they would have had Zeir by now. They would have won. And king Marcos would be the one in chains by now. Such incompetence!

Felix smirked when his neighbors didn't reply to his taunts. Pathetic. Both of them. He almost wished he had been the traitor. He'd have done a much better job of it, surely.

But it was too late for that now. He'd rot in here for trying to get justice for injured pride. This was what the once proud nation had fallen to. Honoring low born cretin by awarding them titles and land. Soon they'd be no better than Balor.

Felix snorted and sat down on the bench in his cell, done for the day with taunting his fellow prisoners. He'd have to save his jests for another day.

They would be here for a while longer after all.

...

Wounded men kept coming in. There seemed to be no end to the enemy's numbers.

As predicted, men from Vertalis were fighting alongside Balor. They must not have heard the news yet that their lord had been taken into custody, but either way, there was no time to discuss these matters. They were at war and casualties fell on both sides.

Even with the added numbers from Lavos, they did not have the upper hand. Cyrus feared that soon they would be overrun.

Iolaus hadn't returned yet, but Cyrus was sure his friend had thought it best to stay with Iason at the fortification. They, too, were in need of men. And Iolaus knew their plans. Together with Iason they could come up with the best strategy.