Chapter 81 A price to pay

It was a relief when Faolán returned from Lavos not only carrying news but also medicine. Torcan directed the messenger towards the commander's tent while he himself rushed to bring the tinctures to the infirmary. They had used the last pain relief yesterday and the agonized cries of the injured were starting to drive the healthy soldiers insane.

This would at least bring some measure of peace back to the camp.

Torcan walked up to the physician and handed him the crate with labeled jars. "These have come from Lavos, by the hand of king Elon's daughters. They have personally overseen that these were sent to you. Please use them wisely."

The physician bowed lightly as he took the medicine bottles. Medication from Lavos was highly sought after, and the daughters of king Elon were very adept at making them. "Thank you, my lord," he said gratefully, "this has come not a moment too soon. We have many injured still."

Torcan nodded. "Please," he said, "use them on Byron from Lavos first. He is king Elon's own son-in-law. I'm certain princess Eloni would be grateful to see her beloved back whole and healthy. How is he?"

The physician looked at him gravely. "The situation is dire, my lord," he said seriously, "as per request of king Darius himself, we are doing all we can. I'm sure the princess Eloni sent the medication as swift as she could, but even so, it may already be too late to save his leg."

Torcan gave a serious nod. Byron was still unconscious and burning with fever. And he wasn't the only one.

Leaving the mediation with the physician, Torcan made his way back to Darius. Some of the soldiers had returned from their hunt in the mountains. Tonight there would be plenty of meat to share. No one was allowed to drink alcohol as long as they were on duty, but at least there would be something to celebrate. Morale had been low the past few days. And how not? There seemed to be no end to the fighting.

He took a deep breath and entered the commander's tent Darius shared with Cyrus. They were still listening to Faolán's report from king Elon. Aside from medicine, Lavos had sent some grain as well. The food was most welcome.

The border with Lavos had been retaken. At the time Faolán passed through, there had been prisoners. Word of that would probably arrive soon. It was good news indeed. What was left over of the Balor army had been pushed back to their own border. There, the other troops would be waiting for them.

"Let's not let our guard down just yet," Darius said, "we will leave a few men stationed there just in case. Have fifteen riders patrol back and forth along the mountain ridge. We don't want any Balor scum to slip through the cracks."

Ignisius, second in command to lord Cassius Strega, nodded in agreement. "I agree with king Darius. Even though the enemy appears to be retreating, we need to be cautious. We have not won this war yet."

Cyrus turned to Faolán. "A few of Lavos' men should form a team with the riders from Tirèze. They know this particular mountain range best. My men will join Alcaeus at the Northwest border as additional back up."

Darius nodded too and looked at Torcan. "Torcan, select a few men to ride with Lavos to patrol our North border."

Torcan bowed. "Yes, my king." It seemed he needed to wait a little longer before he could speak with Darius. His king and friend was occupied every moment of the day. The moments Cyrus took over command were the only moments Darius was available, and that time was understandably used for resting.

There was no privacy in this camp.

Faolán, too, excused himself to join Torcan and gather some of his own men. It was adamant they acted swiftly, and the patrol would be sent out before nightfall.