Chapter 9 House of cards

“Have you heard the announcement?” Eunice cast Ethan a sad look, “poor Vara.”

Ethan shook his head and closed the door to the barn. “We knew this would happen. And I suppose an alliance with Tireze would be beneficial. With their support we may finally end this war.” He took his fiancée’s hand. “Have you told her about us yet?”

“How could I?”  Eunice sighed, “it’s not like I have access to the palace. And how can I tell her now? The man she loves is about to marry someone else.”

“For the good of the kingdom,” Ethan pointed out.

“That is such a man’s answer,” Eunice said angrily, “can you not be more considerate?”

“Then what would you have me do?” Ethan asked, “I can hardly tell the king how to rule his kingdom.”

“I know,” Eunice sighed in defeat, “I just wish there was something I could do.“ She picked up a bucket and walked towards the well. Carefully she lowered it and hauled up some water.

Ethan gently took her arm and kissed her cheek. “Vara will be just fine. She is strong. I am going to the blacksmith’s I will not be long. Don’t worry so much, my love. And how could you think for even a second that she would not wish us happiness?”

Eunice looked down. “Of course she would be happy for us. I just don’t want to hurt her feelings.”

”It will be fine,” Ethan assured her, “I must go now. I will see you later.” He caressed her cheek and went on his way.

“There you are,” Antonia said when her daughter entered the house. She turned and picked up a basket with clothes she had finished weaving. “I need you to bring these to Celia. I finished the cloak for her youngest and the blankets she requested.”

Eunice emptied the bucket in the kettle that was over the fire in the hearth. “I will take it mother. Let me heat up the water first.”

Antonia motioned with her hand in a dismissive gesture. “The water will heat itself, child. Go now before the night sets in.” She sunk down in a chair with a pained expression on her face. She tried to hide it from her daughter, but to no avail.

“Mother?” Eunice asked concerned, “what is the matter? Are you not well?”

Her mother waved her away. “It’s nothing child. I just need to sit for a moment. Go already.”

“Yes mama.” Eunice took the basket and walked to the door. She hesitated, her hand on the handle. “Ethan’s family has invited us for dinner. Will you be able to attend? If you are not well…”

“Do not worry, Eunice,” Antonia said. She mustered a smile. “Your old mother will be just fine. I have overexerted myself. That’s all.”

Eunice bit her lip. “If you are certain.”

Her mother nodded and waved her out the door. As soon as it had closed behind her daughter, Antonia let out a deep groan. She could feel the sickness in her bones. She had felt it for a while. It would not be much longer. Her only console was the knowledge that at least her daughter would be cared for.

Ethan was a good man.

Antonia sighed and closed her eyes. She would sleep for a moment. Just long enough to rest her weary body. Only a minute.

It would be enough.

***