Chapter 96 The way home

The city was both the same and completely different. It had been months since he last crossed the market square towards the palace gates. The seasons had changed twice and the heat was stifling.

Torcan nodded at the guards as he rode his horse through the gate. He had finally left Salvire in the hands of his brother hand had notified Darius he was returning home. With him, he carried the latest reports from the border and Salvire's tax report. The prospects were good. There had been only a few minor incidents with Balor that had been easily struck down. Trade had been set up with the nomads. Salvire was flourishing. Darius could be pleased.

Torcan handed his horse to a stablehand and walked inside.

The king was in the reception room. Today was a Hearing day. The people could petition the king with minor disputes for him to settle.

Torcan patiently waited for the last visitor to leave before stepping forward. "My king," he bowed, "I have returned."

Darius smiled and stood from his seat to approach his friend. "So I see," he said, "you look well. How was your journey? How is Salvire?"

"Thriving," Torcan answered, "I have no doubt lord Mikos will do well. I brought you the reports."

"The reports can wait," Darius dismissed, "if you say all is well I will believe you. I can read it all later. I'm more interested in hearing about you. How are things between you and your brother? I have nothing more on my schedule today. Tell me all about it."

Torcan inclined his head and followed Darius to his private quarters. They had a lot to catch up on. He had been away for a long time, so he needed to know everything that was going on at court.

Darius entered his chambers and called for refreshments. "Sit," he told Torcan, "you must be tired from your journey. I'll inform Elora of your return. She has been asking for days if you had arrived."

Torcan smiled fondly. "Has she been well?" He had received news that Elora was with child again. She was due any day now.

"She's driving the servants to madness," Darius smirked. It had become difficulty for Elora to move around, so the servants were running all over the place to run errands.

Torcan laughed. "I find that hard to believe." Elora was always nothing but kind.

"Oh, believe it," Darius said, "this pregnancy seems to be taking a toll on her. She's been nauseous a lot and her feet hurt. The physician sees no reason to worry, but she must rest."

Torcan nodded in understanding. Darius had reason to be anxious after what happened with Ariane. He wouldn't take any risk. Neither would Elora.

"A letter came for you, "Darius continued, "I didn't know you still corresponded with her." He tried to keep his expression neutral and took a sip of his wine.

"We picked it up again now that the war is over," Torcan replied, "I've been writing to her from Salvire. In my last letter, I told her I'd be returning home, so she must have sent the letter here instead." He wondered how much Darius knew. Vara had written about the difficulties between prince Cyrus and his young heir. He knew the boy had lived at Boncini for a while and had only returned to living with his father a few months ago.

Darius nodded, but didn't comment. He had long since stopped reading the letters Torcan received from Vara. He still wasn't sure how he felt about Vara vi Aurelios, but he no longer resented her.

A servant came in with a tray of refreshments, followed by another servant. The latter bowed at Darius. "My king, the lady Elora thanks you for informing her of lord Torcan's return. She regrets that her current condition does not allow her to greet him in person, but asks if she may call upon him soon."

Darius inclined his head. "Of course." he waved his hand dismissively.

Once they were alone again, Torcan smiled. "Please let her know there is no rush. She should give birth to your child first."

Darius answered his smile fondly. "You know how she is. She dotes on you. Even if you can't visit her now, do send a message to her chambers or I'm afraid in the morning she'll come running."

Torcan laughed softly and nodded. "I will do that."

...

Pulling the bowstring wasn't as hard as it used to be. His time at Boncini had made him physically stronger, and his lessons here had improved his skills. He could almost his the inner circle now. Soon enough he'd be able to hit the center. As soon as he could do it, he would write his aunt Vara. She would be so proud.

Living at Vertalis wasn't so terrible. He missed Boncini, but things with his father were improving. At least his father acknowledged his presence now, though conversations were still awkward.

At the moment, his father was watching his target practice while looking over some reports at the same time.

Lucius lowered his bow and looked to his right. A week ago, a boy had arrived at Vertalis. Tomas was the son of a lower lord that served lord Strega, and had been appointed as Lucius' companion. Tomas was a year older that Lucius and not the most talkative. But then again, neither was Lucius. Perhaps Tomas was still adjusting to his new home. Or maybe Tomas felt intimidated being a prince's companion.

"Do you want to try?" Lucius offered his bow to his new friend. He wasn't sure yet what Tomas enjoyed doing. He wondered if the boy head been told to go along with everything Lucius suggested.

"Certainly, prince Lucius," Tomas said politely and he took the bow. He aimed at the target and hit the outer circle. It was not that bad, considering Tomas hadn't had much training yet.

"Is it much different at Stregare?" Lucius asked. He hadn't been to many places. Just Boncini and here. Was life at the coast very different? He had never seen the ocean.

"I'm very honored to be here, my prince," Tomas answered.

Lucius frowned lightly. That wasn't at all what he had asked. "Did you have many friends?" he tried again.

Tomas looked down, his hand clutching the bow a little tighter. "You shouldn't concern yourself with that, prince Lucius," he said quietly.

"But I want to know," Lucius answered, "I've never really had friends so I don't know what it's like."

Tomas bit his lip uncertain. "I had friends," he muttered.

"Do you miss them?" Lucius asked curiously.

Tomas bit his lip again. Lucius could tell he was contemplating what the right answer would be.

Lucius sighed. "We can be friends too."

"Of course, my prince," Tomas replied.

It didn't sound very convinced.

Lucius took back his bow and turned. Perhaps it would just take time. "You don't have to force yourself if you don't want to," he said while walking back towards the house.

Behind him, he could hear Tomas' footsteps. "It's just that I'm not worthy, my prince," he said, "my father is only a minor lord."

Lucius nodded in thought. "My aunt Vara always says it doesn't mater where you came from. High or lowborn, it doesn't make anyone a better friend."

Tomas now fell in pace with him. "I heard a lot about lady Vara. People say she's kind."

Lucius glanced at him. "Perhaps next time I visit Boncini you can come with me."

"Really?" Tomas asked surprised.

Lucius offered a careful smile. "Sure," He wondered how his aunt and uncle were doing. He still missed them.

Carefully, Lucius glanced back at his father and found the man watching him closely. A thoughtful expression was on Cyrus' face.

Lucius wondered what his father was thinking, but was afraid to ask.