Chapter 52 Vipers

Zara fought hard to keep the smirk off her face when she heard the commotion down the hall. Shouting. Running. Angry voices.

If only she could bear witness to the results of her actions. What she would give to see the despair on Darius' face at the sight of the lifeless child!

A cruel chuckle escaped her. The poison had been subtle, but it would be effective. There would be no heir. She would personally make sure of it. Every child Elora would bear him would meet the same fate.

Zara listened as the sounds drew nearer. Any moment now and she would hear the crying. She could hardly wait.

But instead of entering Elora's wing, the footsteps approached the harem. Zara frowned as soldiers lined up along the wall. Soldiers weren't allowed into the harem.

She narrowed her eyes when she saw Torcan enter the room. When he reached her, she sneered at him. "What are you doing here? Did Darius finally decide this is where you belong? With the rest of the women?"

Torcan's face betrayed no emotion. "Zara of the eastern plains, you are under arrest and will be sentenced for high treason."

Zara let out a scampering laugh. "Treason? And what act of treason might that be? Look around, you fool, I am confined to these rooms. There is nowhere I can go. Treason!"

"I'm glad you find it amusing," Torcan said calmly. He took her arm and pulled her with him. "You are being arrested for conspiring against king Darius and queen Elora, and the attempt to take the life of the newborn prince and heir of Tirèze."

"How would I have been able to kill that baby," Zara sneered, "I haven't left the harem since Darius threw me in here."

"King Darius might have placed you here," Torcan said, "that does not mean he didn't keep an eye on you. Your so-called allies acted in his name, giving you a false sense of security while in fact they reported everything back to him." He looked at her with disdain. "Did you truly think he has no eyes and ears in the harem?"

Zara gritted her teeth and tried to claw at Torcan, but he grabbed her wrists and pushed her toward a soldier who was waiting outside the harem. "Take her to the prison."

"You will regret this!" Zara screamed as she was being dragged away, "I will make you pay!"

All threats were ignored.

...

"You are glowing," Vara noted as she smiled at Ophelia. Her friend couldn't stop smiling.

Ophelia giggled and let out a dreamy sigh. "I am just so happy. I have waited for so long for this day. I can hardly believe it has finally come true and I am Iolaus' wife." She took Vara's hands. "I am so nervous."

Vara laughed. "You have nothing to worry about. You look beautiful."

Ophelia grinned. "At least now my brothers have stopped glaring at him." The two girls glanced in their direction and giggled.

Upon hearing the sound, Ophelia's brothers looked up confused, only making the two girls laugh harder. "Poor Iolaus," Vara giggled, "he's been terrified of them for years."

"What nonsense are you telling my wife?" Iolaus had appeared and ruffled Vara's hair with an amused smile.

Vara pulled a serious face. "I speak only true."

"Of course you do," Iolaus said wryly.

Ophelia laughed. "Don't worry, my love, she told me nothing I didn't already know."