Chapter 16 Wedding bells

"Again," Cyrus ordered and he lifted his sword again. His opponent, a young soldier in training, nodded and advanced. His strike was blocked and they continued their spar.

Cyrus drove the young soldier in a corner. Perhaps he was a little rougher than usual, but he needed to let off some steam. Besides, these young men were being trained for war. The sooner they developed their fighting skills the better. They would need every man available.

He disarmed the man and pointed his sword under the young soldier's chin. "Your hold on your weapon is weak," he said, "if I were a real enemy, you'd be dead." He lowered the sword and dismissed the man. "Next!" he called.

Pretty soon he was drenched in sweat and five young soldiers were sitting at the sidelines disarmed and discouraged. He still felt restless.

"You are very skilled, prince Cyrus."

Cyrus turned around and looked at the approaching man. He recognized Torcan and nodded at him. "Care to try your weapon, man of Tireze?" Cyrus asked amused.

Torcan smiled apologetic. "I wouldn't want to endanger the treaty by accidentally drawing royal blood."

Cyrus laughed. "You sound very confident that you could defeat me."

Torcan inclined his head. "My king has entrusted me with the safety of his heir and only daughter. Certain skill is required, your highness. I'm sure you have the same faith in your manservant."

"Then you won't mind if I test those skills for myself?" Cyrus asked.

A smirk appeared on Torcan's face and he bowed.

Cyrus signaled for one of the soldier's to hand Torcan a sword and then stepped into the training circle. He whirled his sword in his hand and took a fighting stance. "Let's see what men of Tireze are made of."

***

"You sent for me, my king?" Vara curtsied deep and kept her eyes cast down. She suddenly realized she had spent more time in these quarters the past two weeks than she had in the past years.

"You left the palace grounds today," king Marcos spoke without so much as a greeting.

"I was not aware I was under restrictions," Vara said daring.

"You're not," he said, "but you took lady Ariane with you. I am responsible for her wellbeing for as long as she stays here in my care. She is not wed to Cyrus yet. If anything were to happen to her..."

"She had her guard with her, "Vara protested, "and Octavius was there as well and it was only to Dalós. My friend Eunice needed me. Her mother is not well."

"Octavius has other tasks than to escort you around," the king said coldly, "and it doesn't change the fact that you brought our guests in danger. The roads are not that safe."

"I thought you wanted Ariane to feel at home here," Vara said, "she had been wanting to visit the lake and Cyrus was busy. You told me to keep her company, My king."

"I meant at court and you well know that. What use will it be to her to strike up a friendship with village girls. She needs friends here at court, ladies in waiting and the like. She is a stranger here and this is where she needs to be accepted. At court."

Vara gritted her teeth, but knew she couldn't show her anger. She couldn't afford to push her boundaries any further. The king's patience was wearing thin. Still, she could not help being hurt. "I am also a village girl," she spoke quietly, "one you recently told you'd entrust your kingdom to."

The king sighed. "I did not mean it that way, Vara," he spoke in a calmer tone. These past few weeks had been stressful to him. "I told my son to spend more time with his bride so he can get to know her. She'll still need other young women to get her acquainted with court life, but it will give you the opportunity to visit your friend. And my father and mother have been requesting you visit them. My father especially misses the discussions you have."