Chapter 37 Betrothed

Felix Matís smiled playfully. "Who would have thought that a single dance at your brother's wedding would lead to us getting engaged?" He had been at court three months now and Vara's behavior amused him. Her every word was cautious yet polite and she feigned disinterest. She was playing a game and he enjoyed it. He was a man that liked the hunt, and Vara ví Aurelios was a high prize he was determined to win.

"Really?" Vara replied, "it was my dancing skills you were attracted too? Perhaps I should have stepped on your toes more often."

Felix smirked. "Cicero warned me about your sharp tongue, but it won't discourage me. I am an expert with the sword. I can handle sharp objects."

"It seems you and Cicero have a lot on common," Vara commented dryly, "perhaps you should consider marrying him."

"Do I intimidate you this much, lady Vara, that you believe you need to lash out at me to win my respect? I assure you, you have nothing to fear." He smiled amused.

Vara hid her annoyance. The past three months had been stressful. Felix had been given his own quarters in the palace. They were located near Cyrus' rooms and that on its own was reason for stress. Almost all of her time was spent in the company of Felix. The only time she could escape was at night when she was asleep. Her first impression of him being a shallow and vain man hadn't changed, and now she discovered he was also arrogant. He thought she belonged to him now.

"I assure you," Vara told him stiffly, "I am not afraid of anyone. And I have handled my share of sharp objects."

Felix chuckled. "If your skill with the needle is anything like your skill with words, then I'll make sure to stay away when you sit down with your embroidery."

Vara gritted her teeth, but didn't reply. She had promised to behave no matter how much she wanted to slap him. "Let's just find seats." Felix had taken her to the horseraces today just outside of the city of Auros. Cyrus and Ariane were unable to join them today. Ariane had fallen ill and the king wouldn't allow Cyrus to accompany them by himself, so it was only Iason to guard her.

They found seats in the crowd. The royal family usually had their own lodge, but Vara didn't feel like sitting there today. Felix had scowled, but she had ignored it. He needed to learn that being engaged to her didn't mean he would have any privileges. They weren't married yet. And she liked sitting in the crowd. They still had a good view from here.

"Lady Vara,"a soft and melodious voice sounded at her shoulder.

Vara looked up to find both Priskilla Tempa and Riccardo Prias standing there. She stood up to greet them. "Lady Priskilla, lord Riccardo, how nice to see you again. So it is official now? Can we expect a wedding soon?" She smiled.

Priskilla blushed and looked down, making Riccardo chuckle. He bowed at Vara. "I am pleased to tell you that I will be able to call lady Priskilla my lady wife very soon. An invitation should find you in the next few days."

"I'm looking forward to it," Vara smiled.

"Vara dear," Felix had stood up as well and cast an annoyed look at Riccardo, "we should take our seats. The races will start soon."

Vara didn't answer him, but kept her eyes on Priskilla and Riccardo. "Why don't you two join us?" At least with their company she wouldn't be alone with Felix.

"I'm sure they have plans of their own," Felix commented.

Priskilla's eyes met Vara's and she saw the pleading look they held. She placed a hand on Riccardo's arm. "Let us sit down with them. I haven't had the opportunity to thank lady Vara yet for inviting me to court."