Chapter 64 The art of the game

It was a relief to return home again, even if it had only been a few days since he last saw these walls. Though, the last time they had been in a worse state than they were now. It was a relief that the reconstruction was making progress. He had been afraid of another attack in his absence.

Drusus and a stable boy rushed to greet him. "Welcome back, my lord," Drusus bowed.

Iason dismounted and gave a nod. "How many times do I have to tell you, Drusus, there is no need for titles. I am a soldier, just like you." He smiled to soften his words and pressed the man's shoulder. How it must have driven Vara mad all those years. He hadn't understood before how one could be annoyed by titles until he himself had risen in rank.

Drusus inclined his head and offered an amused smile. "Just one more time, my lord, I'm sure."

Iason sighed and shook his head. "How is my wife? Where is Vara?"

"Last time I saw her, she was chasing the chickens from the kitchens," Drusus said with an amused twinkle in his eyes.

Iason blinked. "The kitchens? How did they get in there? Nevermind. Do not answer." He shook his head amused. Vara would never change. And he was glad for it.
He made his way inside and towards the kitchen. Sure enough, he found his wife there, alongside Chloe and Eudemas.

"Now you can see for yourself, my lady, what pesky creatures they are!" Chloe said pointedly while kneading a blob of dough on the table. She turned to the kitchen door that led into the courtyard. "Keep away! Or I'll make sure to prepare chickenpie for tonight!"

Iason coughed a laugh. "Chicken pie sounds delicious."

Chloe yelped as she turned around and Eudemas giggled. A broad smile appeared on Vara's face. "You have returned!" She fled into his arms. "How are you? And your family? Is Channah managing?"

Iason kissed the top of her head. "As well as might be expected. It will take them a long time to grieve. Channah especially. She won't stop crying."

Vara sighed sadly. "I can only imagine. It is difficult to raise a child alone, especially in times of war. I wish there was something I could do."

Iason shook his head. "There isn't, love. Nothing can bring Dimitris back, but she has my parents to lean on. And Zinon. I told him if they have ever need of anything, the can come to us."

"Of course," Vara agreed, "and they are always welcome here. "

Iason nodded. "They know that." He released her. "I'm going to wash up."

"Alright," Vara nodded, "I'll make sure there is food waiting for you when you return." When she turned around, Eudemas was already busy preparing a meal.

"It won't be chicken pie," the former servant girl smiled, but I think this stew will taste just as good."

Vara laughed. "I'm sure it will. He is not picky." She embraced her friend. "Thank you. For all your support. I am fortunate to have you as a friend. But shouldn't you return home? Matthew will wonder what has happened to you."

Eudemas shook her head amused. "I sent word to him. He understands. I only wanted to make sure you were alright. Now that Iason has returned, I know you are in good hands."

Vara gave a flat look. "You say that like I always get in trouble." Eudemas only looked at her and Vara huffed. "You are impossible."

"But you love me," Eudemas smirked.

Vara laughed. "that I do." She hugged her friend again. "Thank you, Eudemas. Come visit me again."

Eudemas smiled and answered her embrace. "You won't even have time to miss me."