Chapter 56 Shadows of the past

"They were pleased with our report," Byron informed the king as he settled himself in the chair across from his lord. The meeting had gone on for days, but the results were satisfying. Everyone would gain from the agreements.

King Elon pressed the tips of his fingers together and pursed his lips. "What did king Marcos say about reinforcements?"

Byron nodded. "The closest settlement to our border would be Boncini, but they are a small estate and already sent support to Salvire in the Northwest of Tirèze. They are willing, but they do not have the means to also support us. King Marcos has agreed to assemble a cohort out of the forces of his lords. It will take some time to assemble them. They will dispatch through Boncini and Salvire as it is the fastest route."

King Elon nodded. "I am grateful. I understand he had a hard enough time defending his own borders. Is it true he called all available men to arms?"

"It is," Byron confirmed grimly, "but attacking Balor from all sides seems to be effective. The Northern lords of Zeir have noticed this too. "

King Elon nodded again. "We will keep up our strategy then. And we will await king Marcos' men." He stood up. "Go greet your wife, Byron. We will talk more later."

Byron grinned. "Has she given you a hard time?"

"Not as much as she will give you if you don't hurry up and greet her."

"I will go quickly," Byron announced still grinning. He stood up too and shook his father-in-law's hand before going in search of Eloni.

She was not far. Half way down the hall she rushed to meet him. "You have returned!"

He scooped her up in his arms and kissed her. "Have you missed me this much? Next time you must come with me then."

"I will hold you to that," Eloni warned him.

Byron chuckled. "I'm sure you will."

Eloni freed herself from his embrace and smiled. "How did it go? You must tell me everything. Is the palace in Auros truly that magnificent?"

"It is vast," Byron nodded, "perhaps three times the size of Tolais, with pillars and marble floors. The rooms are comfortable and cozy and the gardens are almost as pretty as the ones we have here."

Eloni shook her head. "I can't believe that."

"I speak the truth," Byron said, "their gardens are walled by stone and they have fountains in inner courtyards. The landscape is also something to see. The mountains in the East are high. They have many forests and many roads are cobblestone. It makes it easier to travel. The climate is harder than here in Lavos though. I have been told winter is quite cold."

Elonis shivered at the thought. Lavos had soft winters and gentle summers. The land was quite flat and green with fields and lakes and rivers. She had only ever been to Tirèze and that land was dry and hot all year through.

"I met the lady Vara," Byron smirked.

Eloni looked at him with interest now. She had heard so many stories from her sister and how king Darius and his servant were at odds about the lady. She could not deny being curious herself.

Byron chuckled. "I understand why she would vex Darius, though she is quite charming."

"How so?" Eloni questioned.

"She is kind to everyone, but not afraid to speak her mind. She has a ..." he thought for a moment, "she is diplomatic. I understand in Zeir women can hold high positions next to men. She would make a good advisor."