1x09 - Wheels

IT WAS A NEW WEEK and we were all sitting in the choir room trying to come up with some song ideas for sectionals

"All right, guys. We're doin' a new number for sectionals. I know that pop songs have sort of been our signature pieces. But I did a little research on past winners...and it turns out that the judges like songs that are more accessible. Stuff they know. Uh, standards, Broadway." Mr. Schue explains handing us sheet music.

"Defying Gravity? I have an iPod shuffle...dedicated exclusively to selections from Wicked. This is amazing." Kurt mentions.

"Think you can handle it, Rachel?" Mr. Schue asks and I look at him confused.

"It's my go-to shower song. It's also my ringtone." Rachel responds.

"Why do we have to go all vanilla on this song? See, what we need is my chocolate thunder." Mercedes comments.

"We don't have time to rearrange the song for you, Mercedes. Rachel is singing it. Don't worry. We'll find something for you to dip in chocolate. On to item two. The school won't pay for the special bus we need...to take Artie and his wheelchair with us to sectionals." Mr. Schue tells us.

"Wh-Wh-What?" Tina asks.

"That's completely unfair." I comment.

"So, we're gonna have to raise money to pay for it ourselves. See, when I was in Glee Club and we needed new silk cummerbunds for regionals...we held a bake sale." Mr. Schue mentions.

"Wait. You're joking, right? I mean, bake sales are kind of bougie." Santana comments.

"So hip people stopped eating delicious sugary treats?" Mr. Schue asks.

"It's not that. It's most of us don't know how to bake. I find recipes confusing." Brittany responds.

"My family's fully committed to takeout." Rachel adds.

"Yeah, Mr. Schue. Kids are busier than when you went here. We've got homework and football and teen pregnancy, lunch." Finn lists.

"You did not just compare teen pregnancy to lunch." I mention.

"Can't Artie's dad just take him?" Mercedes asks.

"I can't believe how insensitive you're all being. Are you a team?" Mr. Schue asks.

"Of course. But Artie understands. Don't you, Artie?" Quinn asks Artie. 

"Of-Of course. It-It's cool. I mean, anything that takes away our time from rehearsing doesn't serve as a team." Artie responds.

~~~~~~~

It was the next day and we were all in the choir room. I was sitting next to Mike as he played with my hair.

"I have something I'd like to say. I wanna audition for the Wicked solo." Kurt says.

"Kurt, there's a high F in it." Mr. Schue mentions.