CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT

————————————————————————-

"Where are you headed?"

Aquilina's steps came to a complete halt at the sight before her.

Dressed ever simply, yet emanating his sense of uniqueness was Javier. The person she had so longed to see was standing before her.

Is it a dream? She blinked vehemently.

"Javier? Skylar?" She turned to her brother who stood next to Javier. "What are you both doing here?"

She was beyond befuddled, and they could see it.

Javier approached her, with a look of gladness only he could express, etched on his face. He engulfed her in a warm embrace.

"Gracias Dios mío."

Aqui thought he mumbled something but was not sure if she had heard correctly.

But, they were startled out of their happy reunion when they heard voices... and footsteps outside the door.

"She went this way!" A voice thundered.

"Catch her at all costs." Aqui identified Claire's angry voice.

"Come, we must flee," Aqui whispered in a desperate tone.

And together, they begun to flee. Yet, it wasn't long before Aqui heard the footsteps from afore chasing after them in the passageway.

She sped away, hand in hand with Javier and Skylar in tow. Hope sprung within her terrified heart when the exit came into view.

"Vámonos, Aqui!(Let's go!) Let's enter the car," Javier was panting severely.

She was shocked to see a familiar face awaiting them all beside the car.

"Lu Xia—?"

"We will explain everything later. Come on in," Lu Xia cut her off diving into the driver's seat himself.

Entering the safety of the car, Aqui turned around to look at their pursuers. But, not in time to try to do anything about the gun going off.

And worse, not in time to stop the person who blocked her from the bullet's trajectory.

——————————

"He's going to be okay, calm down," Skylar's quiet voice reassured Aquilina.

Aqui had gone into a state of shock after witnessing Javier jumping before her to take the shot that Vladimir's men fired.

She couldn't open her mouth to say a word. For the first time in several months, tears threatened to spill. But they did not.

"Here, drink some of this," she finally looked up to see Skylar handing her a cup of warm tea—her favourite. He smiled reassuringly.

Aqui knew he was only trying to help her. Grateful, she accepted the warm cup.

Skylar sighed as he sat beside her in the hospital lounge as they waited for Javier to come out of surgery.

"Don't worry, he will be fine. I know it."

Despite the shock over the situation, Aqui felt amazed by how much her brother had matured over the past months.

"Thank you," she whispered softly. "Have you taken anything as well?"

"No, but I'm okay," Skylar scratched the back of his neck and glanced worriedly at the door. "Lu Xia left to inform his family. He said he will be right back."

She realised that despite his words of encouragement, her brother was also anxious.

I must try to talk to him about something else. To take his mind off it all. And mine too... if possible.

Aqui cleared her throat and brought up the topic that had been on her mind since he had visited her some time afore.

"So, Aquila," she playfully mentioned his rarely used first name causing him to crack a smile.

"What's up? I know something has happened with you."

Glancing at his face, she noticed the light dim in his eyes as new emotions took over. Sorrow and... guilt?

When he finally looked at her face, Aqui's face turned grey. She had a feeling she knew all too well what he was going to talk about.

"No..." she whispered, eyes widening in horror.

How did he find out?

————————————————————-

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Can anyone guess what Sky found out?

Much Love! ❤️