CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

"So, that is our proposal, Sire

"So, that is our proposal, Sire. We hope it will be favourably considered."

The elderly man smiled expectantly at the Prince before him. The latter did not reply but kept his face vacant of feelings. Yet deep within, his mind was running a thousand miles per hour.

~Flashback~

Tarquin walked down the hospital's hallway and approached his father's room, the only one on that floor.

He was nodding to the guards standing at the half-open door when a familiar voice drifted to his ears. It was soft-sounding.

He immediately grew still.

"Pardon?" He heard Aquilina ask. He peeped through the half-open door and saw his father draw in a shaky breath.

"Why did you save my life despite all that I did to you?"

Aqui stood silent for a moment before replying.

"If it had been up to me, I wouldn't have. But hate cannot win against hate. Only love can."

King Flavian stayed silent for a long moment. And Tarquin was still reeling from those words when his father spoke again.

"I have decided to tell him the truth—the whole truth. No matter what it may cost, I need to let him know. And also, I want to ask for your forgiveness."

What are they talking about? Tarquin could only wonder.

"I know I have cost you a lot. Nothing can repay you. I had thought about his image and the prestige that would be lost and did what I did. I cannot excuse myself. I am truly sorry."

His father coughed a bit afterwards, causing Aqui to quickly raise the glass of water by his side to his lips.

None of them had seen Tarquin yet.

When King Flavian was calm and satiated, she set it aside. She took a step back and after much deliberation, finally replied.

"I forgive you."

"And don't worry about telling him yet. Get better first instead."

Tarquin turned and walked away before Aquilina did.

But his mind hadn't left the scene.

What has my Father done? And who does he want to confess to? Why did Aqui stop him? He kept asking himself many questions.

He had no answers. But a great feeling of foreboding shadowed him.

~

"Your Highness?"

Tarquin snapped back to attention, and immediately put on an easy smile.

Though his thoughts had drifted for a moment, he had heard every bit of their presentation.