CHAPTER FORTY

GOD bless you all for your love and patience... your kindness, and support. It encourages me a lot... Really.

Toda Raba(Thanks a lot)

———————————-

"What do you mean I've hidden everything from you?"

Aquilina hoped with all her heart that her voice wouldn't give her away. She had tried to sound as nonchalant as possible. But, Tarquin could be highly perceptive.

And she didn't know what he knew—or didn't know.

"You know exactly what I am referring to Aquilina."

She tried to meet his gaze—which was hard and undecipherable.

Has his father told him?

Aqui couldn't tell. And she couldn't risk exposing everything if his father had not yet told him.

She had told him not to tell about it, right? She dried her sweaty palms on her skirt underneath the table where she had hidden them.

One of the reasons why she hadn't wanted Tarquin to find out had to do with his father.

They had a close bond that she didn't want to break—despite all that King Flavian had done to her.

And besides, they couldn't be together anymore. So why kindle a flame out of ashes?

She set her jaw, determined not to give anything away.

"Well Tarquin, I think everything that needs to be out in the open is already so. So, I don't know what you are troubling yourself over."

His cold blue eyes seemed to pierce straight into her heart, scrutinising and dissecting every intent of her heart.

"If you say so," he seemed to finally have the answer he was looking for. He sat back and began to eat.

——-

In a hidden underground base

He was seated behind his desk, a cigarette in hand

He was seated behind his desk, a cigarette in hand. As he swivelled his chair left and right, the perpetual smoke continued to fill the room.

He halted when there was a knock at the door.

Two short taps, a pause, then another. He knew who it was without having to ask.

"Come in, Boris," his Russian accent was very evident.

His employ, a man in his mid-forties, whom no one would ever deem fit for the work he did, stepped in. He was shorter than the average man, and he always dressed and looked too humble for his deeds.

Yet, he was Boris, one of the deadliest assassins to have ever lived. And he was also his informant.

Boris' bulky clothes and simple appearance belied the strength he actually had. He also had a talent for hiding his accent and using other ones instead.

"Have you gotten what I asked of you?" The man behind the desk asked.

He wasn't as old as Boris. Contrariwise, he was young and considered attractive by most.

With his tall build, and strong jaw, most couldn't resist his charms. He was a well-known businessman by day. But by night, he was the leader of one of the deadliest mafia groups to have ever existed.

"Yes, Rukovoditel(Boss)," he approached and placed the document on the table.

"I have here the data of their recent dealings."

Glancing through the document, the man behind the desk smiled — a slow, deliberate ominous smile.

"Good."

——-

The sun had begun to set when a stressed-out Aqui walked out of the special entrance of the plaza

The sun had begun to set when a stressed-out Aqui walked out of the special entrance of the plaza. She felt drained of energy despite the meal she had taken.

She had lost her appetite during their conversation but knew it would have been rude to decline the food.

Aqui glanced at her watch to check the time, Javier would have waited for her for quite some time.

So lost in thought was she, that Aqui did not realise another figure approaching till they collided.

"Oh, I'm sorry—," she began to apologise when she noticed whom she had bumped into.

The person was not familiar to her, yet, she felt oddly connected. The woman, who appeared to be in her late forties was striking, despite her age.

With dark lustrous hair, and rare—violet eyes?

"Don't worry, dear."

The woman fondly replied and readjusted her purse before proceeding to enter the plaza.

A strong feeling of déjà vu filled Aqui.

Why does she seem so familiar?

———————-

So... what do you think of Boris? And the woman Aqui collided with?

See you soon.

Phela ❣️🤎🤍