CHAPTER NINE

SOMETIME PAST

SOMETIME PAST

"Aquilina, please be on your best behaviour," Moriah Yvette Jaye said straightening her little girl's bow.

She pinned Aquilina's golden royal insignia to the shoulder of her navy blue dress.

Moriah then linked her arm through her husband's and they along with their seven children filed into the grand castle of King Domingo II.

They were there for a simple dinner but received a grand welcome.

As they were ushered into the King's personal dining chamber, Aqui trailed behind the rest of her siblings content to be obscured from view.

The Spanish King welcomed them himself, acquainting himself with all the children.

He was there with his new wife — who was one of the daughters of the King of China — and her three children. Her first husband having died some years before.

The two countries had formed an alliance through their marriage. He then moved to talk more with Moriah and her husband.

"I am sorry, but my youngest son could not make it."

He must not have noticed the little girl shyly standing behind them. Aqui was glad, for she did not really relish attention.

But, as they all moved to sit, he finally spotted Aqui and froze for a moment. His lips then shook before he composed himself.

"This is our last born. Aquilina, greet King Domingo." Her father introduced.

Aqui recalled her instructions with care and curtsied.

"Greetings, Sir."

"You are..." he cleared his throat before continuing, "You are Aquilina?"

"Yes, Sir."

"May I hug you, Aquilina?"

She was baffled, for he hadn't done that even to her parents. One look at her mother told her she must comply.

She agreed and was soon enveloped in the surprisingly warm embrace of the King. He did not release her for a long time. And when he did, his eyes glistened.

That whole night, he gave her preferential treatment, allowing her to sit right by him — where his wife should have sat.

Her younger mind had not comprehended why this was. But she enjoyed it nonetheless. He acted like another father to her.

And after that, he always sought her out and sent her gifts claiming her as another daughter of his.

It was sometime later, when she had grown a wee bit more, that she learnt the reason... She looked just like his ex-wife used to look when she was younger. She had abandoned him and their young son not long after his birth.