CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

————————————————————————-

The sun had already set when Aquilina finally arrived at her house

The sun had already set when Aquilina finally arrived at her house. But, she remained in her car a moment longer.

"Argh..." She moaned.

Clutching her chest, Aqui felt the familiar sharp pain. Only this time, it was much more painful.

She had to get it checked. And she dreaded the thought of doing so.

Breathe in and out, she told herself.

When the pain had subsided, she heaved a huge sigh of relief and got out of the car. Feeling much better, she finally glanced around her and noticed a white sports car.

"Why does this car look familiar?"

She hadn't noticed it before. But looking at it, she thought she recognised it. Though she couldn't quite recall it at that moment.

On entering the codes and pushing the door open, she heard laughter and voices.

Voices.

One, she expected. But the other was familiar, but she hadn't expected it.

"Sky!" Aqui gushed when she came into view of her brother — twin brother to be exact.

She took a moment to study him, standing wide-eyed with mouth agape.

When Skylar stood up to meet her, she rushed into his arms and embraced him.

A lot had happened which had caused them to grow apart over the past months. Yet, they shared a bond. A bond that was thicker than water.

"Tu me manques(I've missed you)," Skylar whispered almost inaudibly.

Standing there in his embrace, Aqui felt free from her worries and problems for a moment.

"Moi aussi(me too)," Aqui's voice was just as tender.

"Have you forgotten me already?" Javier's voice forced them to tear from their embrace.

Skylar chuckled as Aqui turned to face Javier. As she bit the corner of her lips, she felt conflicted.

Her mind wanted her to stand back, but a deeper part of her heart wanted to run into his arms as well.

Eventually, the latter won.

"Mi amor, bienvenida(Welcome, my love)," Javier whispered into her ears.

Aqui pulled back after a moment and turned to her brother who seemed ready to leave.

"Why are you leaving?"

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that I'm back. For some time, I'll be around." Skylar grabbed his keys from the table at the centre.

"Why don't you stay?"

Aqui knew she was whining like a kid, but she had really missed her brother.

"Don't worry, you'll be seeing me around till you buy me a return ticket yourself."

Skylar winked and walked closer to her. After kissing his sister on the cheek, he shook Javier's hand.

"It was a pleasure meeting you."

"Likewise," Javier responded amicably.

Aqui couldn't tell why, but she felt they had developed a true friendship within their short meeting.

"See ya."

When the door had shut behind Skylar, Javier turned Aqui to look at him placing a kiss on her forehead.

"And, I have a surprise for you... el amor de mi vida (the love of my life)."

~~~

Sitting at the table with the dishes set upon it, Aqui couldn't help but look at the handsome man across from her. Her husband.

Well, it won't be so anymore... soon.

She felt her heart shatter into pieces at that thought.

"Do you not like it? I can order something if you want." Javier looked troubled.

"No, it's fine. I am just... touched. Gracias, Javier."

He stared at her silently for a moment before smiling.

"Shall we?"

She didn't know what it was, but it tasted sweeter than anything she had ever had.

"Mmm," she finally smiled.

"You like it?"

"I love it!"

"Good," Javier reached out to take her hand in his, rubbing his thumb over her knuckles ever so tenderly.

"You know... since my mother left I stopped believing in the existence of God. I lost all hope. But now..." he looked at her earnestly with his sparkling violet eyes.

"Seeing you here with me, smiling with me, makes me want to believe once again."

Aqui had smiled at that but, within her, a storm was brewing.

As she lay in his arms that night, she couldn't bear the sadness that threatened to undo her.

Aqui clung to him, knowing it was probably going to be her last for some days... if not forever.

Would he want to be close to me after finding out that I'm the reason for all the attacks? What if he finds out about my past? Will he ever forgive me?

She feigned sleep but couldn't do so for many hours. She thought about what the new day was going to bring her way.

Whatever it was, Aqui knew it wouldn't be close to Javier. She was going on the mission the next day.

-------------------------------

Uhm... Please, don't beat me up. It's enough that I want to beat myself up.

Adios!

Phela.