CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"No, Father

"No, Father. I'm not going to get married to some Princess," Javier argued.

He was sitting in the private chambers of his father, King Domingo II. The gold carvings surrounding the king's seat made him look all the more imposing.

His Father had dropped by unexpectedly for a visit. An unpleasant one — to Javier at least. He had summoned him right away to his chambers claiming to have important business to speak to him about.

"Javier Miguel, if you want to inherit all that I have someday and take over this throne, then you will do as I say!" The king's patience had worn out.

But one look at his son's dejected face, took all the heat from his anger.

"Tell me, do you have someone else in mind you want to get married to?" He was willing to at least, listen to what his son had to say.

For a moment, Javier's eyes flickered with hope. He wanted to say that, Sí, yes, there is someone whom I love and who loves me back and is willing to marry me.

But, he couldn't. He thought of the last letter he had written... to Aquilina. He had made his feelings bare unto her. And asked her to spend the rest of her life with him.

He was ready to let go of everything—even his right to the throne.

Sadly, as the other letters he had sent, he got no reply. He couldn't bring harm her way by texting her. Whoever was after his life might be checking on his close contacts — despite the tight security setup.

"No, no tengo, padre," (No, I don't have, father), he admitted, his shoulders drooping.

His father sighed, he couldn't bear to see his son sad—knowing all that he had been through.

"Fine, I'll give you two weeks to think about it before moving forward."

"Just two weeks?"

"Two weeks are enough!"

————————————