CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

Hi, everyone! (waves shyly)

I know, you probably want to beat me up. Kindly pardon me. This was ready a while ago, but I wasn't sure if it was okay. Kindly let me know your thoughts on them.

And also, I want to change Aqui's middle name to a female version of Skylar's -- Skylah. And, Skylar(the male) has a first name that matches too.

Can anyone guess what it is?

Love,

Phela.

——————————————————-

——————————————————-

Javier stood in Skylar's driveway as he saw his newly-found friend's car departing

"You can stay here for a few days if you prefer. To sort things out. I can drive over and get you anything you'll be needing."

He remembered Skylar's promise as he waved him goodbye. Sighing, he returned to the condo feeling weary.

Javier's feet felt heavy as he dragged them across the ornately tiled floor and threw himself onto the couch.

He felt depressed, angry, and vulnerable all at the same time. It was even worse than when his mother had left him.

Because then, he knew he could blame someone. Point and direct his anger at that person—his mother.

But now, he didn't know what was going on, or who to blame for that matter.

"I can't tell you why she had to leave, but know that she did it out of love," his mother had reassured him more than once.

It was hard to believe that, especially after having seen those divorce papers. And harder still, because he didn't trust the person assuring him.

How can I trust the woman who abandoned me?

Reaching for his hair in the empty living room, he pulled at it in frustration and groaned loudly.

He was falling apart...

————

Aquilina couldn't believe that she was in the mansion of one of the most feared Mafia bosses when she woke up the next day

Lying on the comfy mattress, she glanced around her at the elaborate Russian decor.

I must be dreaming, she pinched her cheeks and flinched at the sting.

And the events of the previous night felt even surreal. But she knew that it all actually happened.

"Rukovoditel', I have something to tell you." She had mustered up the courage to finally speak up when she had been called to serve.

That clearly took the man by surprise. Even in the darkened room, she could see that he hadn't been expecting it.

But he soon masked his surprise with a smirk.

"You want to speak with me?" He looked amused.

"Young lady, you should know your place," an irritated Claire scolded, eyebrows raised in disbelief.

"Please, I won't take up much of your time," she adjusted the frames and glanced at Vladimir. "And, it's quite important."

Claire sighed and turned to him.

"I'm sorry about this, Rukovoditel'. I'll escort her out and deal with her myself."

Grabbing Aqui's elbow with force, she began to drag her away.

Frustrated, Aqui allowed herself to be pulled away.

Maybe, this wasn't meant to b—

"Wait. Let her come closer. Everyone else should leave for a moment."

Turning around slowly, Aqui found herself gasping along with the others in the room.

She had been hoping for it but hadn't expected to actually be given a chance.

"Rukovoditel'?" Claire questioned, eyes widened.

"Are you going to question me?" His eyes narrowed.

"No, Rukovoditel'," she quickly bowed her head and left with the other dignitaries.

Aqui soon found herself alone with him.

"Now," Vladimir swivelled in his seat. "What did you want to tell me?"

----------------------—————-