CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Picture above is Javier's Mother ☝🏼

And now...
———————

"Are you going to stay here again and only come up when you think I'm asleep?"

Aquilina's eyes widened and the temperature of her face immediately went up a notch.

Javier had helped her with the dishes once again. But before climbing up the stairs, he had turned around.

He inquired of her about her distance the previous night.

"I—," but she couldn't continue.

In truth, Aqui had been shy to approach him or to even get ready for bed in his presence.

"I'll be waiting for you inside," Javier said with a tone of finality before walking away.

——

"I already told you I won't be involved in any shady business of yours, V," Tarquin felt drained all at once.

"Now Tarquin, don't forget who stood by you when you were in need of help."

Tarquin sighed and raised his head up, pinching the bridge of his nose with his other hand.

It was true, had it not been for Vladimir, Tarquin would have been found in lots of trying situations.

Vladimir in his own way, had aided Tarquin when things had gotten tough in his life. Getting him out of some serious messes and mistakes he had made in his younger years.

"Okay, what do you want?"

"Good boy," Vladimir drawled. "I need access to the H Estate."

Vladimir had decided to bypass his original plan of laying hands on the 'son-in-law', and go straight for the Princess.

——

When Aqui finally gathered the courage to enter the room, she found Javier comfortably sitting up on the bed.

He had a book in his hand, but glanced at her for a moment when she walked in.

"So finally, the Princess graces us with her presence," he smiled at her still slightly red face, a twinkle in his eyes.

"Stop teasing me, Javi."

"So... it's Javi again. Getting familiar are we?"

"Or would you prefer Angelo? Maybe I should call you Angelina."

He burst out laughing at that. When Aqui noticed he was distracted, she used that opportunity to dash to the bathroom and freshen up.

On returning, she found Javier had gone back to reading.

I shouldn't disturb him, she thought to herself as she prepared to pray before turning in.

But as she knelt and closed her eyes to pray, she felt movement beside her and someone reaching for her hand.

"You want to pray with me?" Aqui's eyes widened in surprise.

She had never thought he would be interested.

"If He's that important to you, then He is to me also."

Somehow, Aqui felt that their bond was getting tighter by the minute, though nothing much had really happened between them.

Yet, the feeling was there—ever present. And it was a wonderful feeling. But a certain reminder robbed her of that joyful moment.

How could she relay the news about his mother to him? She had to find out more. And fast.

————————-

Next Day:

"Do you know this woman?"

Aquilina placed the photo of the woman she had met at the QRS on the table. She had previously told Amal they would continue the next day. As she was willing to finally talk.

After a long moment of examining the picture in silence, Amal blew out a breath and sat back.

"I know her. Well, not really. I've only met her a few times," she folded her arms over her chest.

"What name does she go by?"

Amal seemed to consider for a moment before replying, "Mmm... come to think of it, no one really knows her full name."

"How so?" Aqui arched an eyebrow in confusion.

"Well, I've seen her with the Rukovoditel' a couple of times when I'm called in for an assignment. They always seem to end up arguing."

"I see..." Aqui made notes on her note pad.

"Wait!"

Amal's voice caused her to look up.

"What is it?"

"I've heard the Rukovoditel's assistant call her Lady Al before."

"Lady Al..." Aqui tried the name, then it clicked.

Lady Alba! That was the name of Javier's mother. Alba Esmeralda Cruz.

Aqui had tried tracking her down after Suzy had given her the information. And she had found it strange when she saw pictures of someone similar leaving Vladimir's office a few times.

Most of the images had her with her face turned away, as if on purpose. But after scrutinising them well, she had realised how similar they were. So she had wanted to confirm it with Amal.

"Did you happen to hear anything they argued about?"

She was more curious now. Not for her sake, but Javier's. Aqui hadn't told him yet. But she knew, the truth would have to be told soon.

And he had to know everything.

"Well..." Amal scrunched her face up, seeming to try hard to recollect.

"Please. It is imperative that you remember as much as you can," Aqui was desperate.

"I remember hearing Lady Al say something like... don't hurt my son. And... your father did same," Amal's face was getting more animated by the minute and she drummed her fingers on the table.

"Yes! She had also threatened him. That I remember very clearly because no one had ever spoken to the Rukovoditel' that way."

"What exactly did she say?"

"She told him: Don't you dare hurt my son again, or else, I will hunt you down and ruin everything you have built. Don't forget, I have great evidence against the Rebellion — your ledger."

Aqui sat back, mouth agape.

What is going on?

————

Hi peeps! Another update

I hope you're all doing well by God's Grace. Kindly let me know what you all think.

Love,
Phela.