CHAPTER EIGHT

"You must be Aquilina," a cheerful looking young nurse greeted

"You must be Aquilina," a cheerful looking young nurse greeted. "Please do come with me."

Aqui hurried alongside the nurse in the bright 'MediCentre' of the school. Every surface and corner sparkled.

I guess I would love working here, even as an assistant.

"Meet Dr. Brown, and Dr. Brown, this is Aquilina," she introduced him to the resident doctor. "Our surgeon is not always seen around. But he comes by often enough."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, young lady. I believe you were given this position because you can handle it," Dr. Brown said shaking her hand firmly.

Aqui only smiled in response.

"I guess Rose will show you the ropes. It can get tiring, especially with your school work involved. But hey, make the most of it while you can."

After a few pleasantries, Ms. Rose led her to the normal nurses' office which was highly equipped. For all the workers were professionals.

She handed her a working coat and taught Aquilina the various medicines that students often needed for minor issues.

And a few major ones.

Aqui noted them down obediently though she was familiar with a majority of them. It was interesting how different countries used various treatments. She loved to learn them all.

"Are you always this quiet?" Ms. Rose surprised her by asking.

"Uhm..." Aqui blushed a little. "Maybe..." She added a tiny smile.

"Aww... I think I'll like you. You're so cute." She pinched Aqui's cheek.

"Oh, and by the way, you'll be working here during lunchtime, you can order in from the cafeteria anytime. And also, during your free periods." She sat at her comfortable-looking desk and went on.

There goes my free time.

"Things are not always busy here, you can rest in any of the rooms whenever you want or leave but only for a short time. Oh, and no PE for you."

Who wouldn't want that? She thought.

"Thank you so much, Ms. Rose."

"Oh, please. Call me Rose, Ms. Rose makes me sound just so — prim and proper."

Aqui chuckled at that.

"Okay, Rose. Thanks so much for everything."

"You're welcome, honey."

———————

Aquilina worked tirelessly to arrange the newly brought-in medications. She had a free period that morning before lunch and had decided to set out to work early.

From France, Israel...

She smiled, as she placed each in its designated area and ticked them off on the tablet she had been given.