CHAPTER 31 - FOR EVER

HER

"Siddhanth, they tell me they are out of orange marigold flowers."

"Then get the yellow ones."

"But Akka had highlighted the word orange, I am not sure if yellow would do."

"Hmm, okay I'll ask around the next block, you go sit in the car."

"No wait, I'll come with you."

"Suhaana, it's a farmer's market, hardly any space for a man to walk straight. You go..."

"Okay, by the time you come around, I'll try to get other things on the list."

I gathered My pleats in an attempt to walk straight amid the hustle and bustle of the narrow streets of this local market. It seemed like an auspicious day, for it felt every other family was out on the road dressed in ethnics.

"Anna, would you be able to help me with these things?" I asked the vendor whose stall was decorated with flowers and more. He looked at me bewildered and shook his head, answering me in Telugu.

"I am sorry, I don't understand," I said, showing him the list. He pointed at the adjacent stall as I looked around, thanking him.

"Would you please help me..."

"They wouldn't be able to help you, mam."

"I am sorry?"

"They only know how to speak Telugu and the man who directed you at this stall, did think this vendor would get you, but I don't think he would."

"Aiyo. Should have learned some Telugu from Amma."

"Can I have a look at your list?"

I looked at the man from head to toe, who was dressed in an ethnic outfit - an orange kurta with white dhoti. I felt skeptical before I was brought back to my senses.

"Mam?"

"...Here."

He went through the list, his eyes darting from the top to the bottom in one swift go.

"Mam you will get all these items from the block behind this one."

"Oh, thank you," I said, turning around, with a sigh.

"The block behind this one. I think I should call..." Out of nowhere, I was jostled by a few people, making me stumble.

"You okay?" Siddhanth said as he walked up behind me soon after I gathered myself.

"Yeah. I am fine. We need to make way to the block behind this one for the rest of the stuff."

I said as he held my hand, leading me through the way.

"Oh. You didn't find anything here?"

"No, I don't know how to speak Telugu, and these people couldn't help me with the list."

"Then who did?"

"I don't know. A man came around...-" I said making my way through the busy market, tucking my drape into my skirt.

"I told you to sit in the car." He said as we stopped at a flower shop.

"But I wanted to help." I picked up the most gorgeous orange marigold flowers and handed them to the vendor. He packed them in green leaves as we then tried to situate a store where we could find the other things.

"Gotta thank whoever told you about this block. Thankfully we are done with most of the stuff." I smiled, locking the seat belt.

*****