CHAPTER 29 - INSIDE OUT

HER

"Is there anything you want to say, Beti?" Prajapati Ji sat me down after I felt weak in my knees from what I heard earlier.

"I love him," I whispered, loud enough for him to hear. He stood in front of me as I looked up at him, my eyes begging for him to tell me, to tell me to love him - unabashed.

He smiled as he sat across me, gently holding my hand.

"I know how it can get in love." He said.

"He is a changed man, and as a father, all I want for him is to settle down. But I am afraid for the family he'd built because I wouldn't be able to see them go through what my wife did."

"Baba..." I dared and failed, as his grip on my hand felt tighter.

"Bolo beti..."

"Baba...all my life, I had lived for my family. For my mother, my brother, and a few good friends that God was kind enough to send our way..." I choked on my own tears as my heart gushed all its hurt into my words.

"I...I didn't know how and when, I fell in love, again, with a family which wasn't mine, but for some reason..."

"It feels like it is."

"I respect you, look up to you. Growing up with my elder brother, the only fatherly love I got was from him...and now..."

"Baba, even after what all happened, you didn't give up on your family. How am I supposed to give up on mine?"

Tears streamed down my eyes as my lips went dry, even at the thought of letting Siddhanth and his family go.

"Please, this is your beti's request. Please don't take them away from me. I'll do anything to protect them, keep them and make them proud. Please...." I folded my hands as I stood up, walking behind him. He turned around, with tears in his own eyes, to lower down my joined hands and hug me. Blood rushed through my head as I struggled to ease into this new emotion. My tears drenched his shirt as I fought them, only to give up as he rested he patted my head.

"Is this what it feels like to have a father?"

We walked out to see the trio who had been waiting and leaning against the door, disperse in oblivious directions on seeing their dad.

"Pss. What did he say?" Akka pulled me closer so did Samira, in the opposite direction.

"Um, he said I am a good business partner." I bit my lip as Siddhanth squinted his eyes knowingly.

"Oh, you liar!" Akka whispered as I giggled.

"She thinks this is a joke." Samira crossed her arms across her chest, pacing.

"Samira Subah Singhania. I want to have a word with you." Baba called out for her sternly, alerting all of us.

"Yes, da...I mean Baba." She walked towards the balcony as Baba cleared his throat.

"I would like to have an open conversation. With you and your brother." He crossed his legs sitting on the couch as all of us formed a half-circle around him.

"It feels like a detention day or something," Akka muttered in my ear as I pressed a smile.

"Samira, what are your plans for the future, what do you have..."

"Baba, Rudra is a nice guy, he is the senior executive engineer at an MNC, he is a family man, you'll love him, I love..." Samira squinted her eyes open listening to her father clear his throat, yet again.

"I am talking about your future. What do I want to do in life?"

"I... I want to...Baba. I haven't thought about it." Samira fumbled her toes making Baba shake his head.