CHAPTER 19 - PROXIMITY

HER

All I remembered was laughing hysterically as I somehow managed to land in Siddhanth's arms. I didn't know exactly why we were in the muddy waters of the lawn with a beer can in my hand. Something hurt around my ankle but I didn't know if I checked. Honestly? All I knew was that I was drunk out of my senses. Did I even know that?

HIM

I looked at her worrisome as she laughed deliriously, and wailed occasionally. Everyone rushed to us, helping us stand on our feet. Suhaana clutched my arm tightly as she tried to stand straight, but her face expressed discomfort.

"Babe. I told you. You are the only one getting hitched next. Why did you have to go and act like a Volleyball athlete? That too in a saree?" Amber said as she helped her sit on a chair.

"Suhaana. Are you okay?" asked a worried Aisha as Vadina knelt down and inspected her ankle.

"It isn't bleeding. Do you feel any pain though?" Vadina asked.

"Girls! I am...like Siddhanth says...TERRIFIC!" howled Suhaana as I shook my head.

"Alright. That's enough for tonight." I said, turning towards the group of people.

"Aisha, I am pretty sure you would have your own plans for tonight." Aisha blushed as Avinash helped her standstill.

"And Vikyath. It's time you act like a grown man and take your very intelligent sister home." I said looking at Ammber who rolled her eyes.

"Okay. Dad." She said as she held Vikayth's arm and kissed Suhaana on her cheek.

"Goodnight babe. I think I might stand you. Even when I am sober." She winked at her.

"Goooodniiiight!" Suhaana chimed, waving enthusiastically at her.

"Vadina. Let me drop you home." I said as I helped Vadina stand up.

"Siddhanth. I'll stay at Ammber's tonight. Vaibhav and Raghav are already there. So you don't worry." she smiled as I nodded.

"Vikyath!" I called as he came rushing to me.

"Wha...what did I do now?" He asked nervously.

"Who do you think will take Vadina to your house? I suppose she's your guest tonight? Or are you drunk out of your mind, as well?" Vikyath lowered his eyes, as he looked at Suhaana from the corner of his eyes. His eyes then dared to shift towards my blank face, which pointed to our Vadina, Raghav's mother.

Ammber held Vadina by her waist and dragged her outside.

"Vicku, babe. Dad, I mean Siddhanth is talking about our present Vadina," she said as she pulled him with her arm while walking out.

"Alright. And mam. How would you like to go home tonight? Would you like a chariot or would you like a private jet for your service?" I asked as I knelt in front of Suhaana who pressed a giggle.

"I would...I would like a piggyback ride." She said after a moment as her eyes twinkled. I shook my head at her winsome face like I always did.

I stood up, brushing my jacket with my hands. I swept in my arm under her knees while I circled the other around her back and within one swift motion, I carried her in my arms, making her gasp.

"This will do too." She said as she looked at me blushing. I smiled as we walked towards my car.

I got out of the car after pulling up at our place as sheets of rain poured. I opened Suhaana's door and forwarded my hand to her, only realizing that she had twisted her ankle. I lowered myself to carry her in my arms, just like the first time we met. The delicate droplets on her face made me draw a few deep breaths as a daring one rested on the corner of her lips, distracting me from walking straight. She looked at me with palpably different eyes, while I blinked away mine and headed towards the elevators. None of us said a word until we were inside the house. Her gaze at me ran chills down my skin as I nervously placed her on the couch. She breathed heavily as I gulped, turning away from her to get some towels. I felt a similar tug on my elbow, and I smiled, without even turning. I looked at her from the corner of my eyes as her eyes resembled her ignited soul. She nodded her head, calling me towards her as I paused before I acted. Her grip on my elbow became tighter as she pulled me closer, stumbling my composed stance. I knelt in front of her, raising my eyebrows, trying to lighten the very heavy and abstruse atmosphere. Her profound eyes didn't waver, not even for a second, making my heart question my sanity. I tried to make some conversation before I got stuck in my own web of words as I saw her licking her lips. I averted my gaze and reached for the bottle of water from the coffee table.