CHAPTER 66

Sunday had gone by, even though it was quite awkward, she had passed it and now it was the dreadful Monday. Even though it had been an awkward meeting with Armaan grandmother she was happy to have met her. At least it would help to deal with her if they were moved forward.

Thr office was a monotonous journey she did everyday. She checked into the web for her present and began the work.  It just did not seem to end.

"You look like you work here."

Her head snapped up and she almost smiled remember something and thinned her lips into a tight smile. "Well, as a matter of fact, I do work here. Also, don't talk to me." She turned her head and continued her work.

"Oh, I thought he was merely. . ."

She frowned as she couldn't hear what he was saying. She could clearly hear that he was muttering something under his breath. 

"What? Did say something?" She asked him and then pointed to the sit in front of her. "Have a seat Zaigham." 

"Thank you," he said but did not in tell her what he had said under his breath. "How are you?"

She narrowed her eyes at him.

He raised his arms immediately, "I did not tell Arman anything. He's sneaky as shit, also he knew where you were everytime."

"What?" She barked out. How the hell did he dare to keep tabs on her? Under what right?

Ziagham, on the other hand, shrugged. "Well to be honest, you are quite as stupid." He said bluntly taking her by surprise, "I mean who comes out of the Apartments at 3 am? I would have understood if you were in the society but you came out of the complex to walk, do you know how dangerous that is?"

She gulped. She might have been guilty of doing that more times than she could possibly count. "Wait, how do you know?"

"That you were not kidnapped with that brain?" He chuckled, "We made it safe for you. One of us was always in Delhi. We might have even gotten two or four kidnappers jailed for you."

While he talked, she had lowered her eyes quickly out of shame. No one else was responsible to keep her safe that her and she had made horrific mistakes. It was very stupid.

"I'm sorry," she whispered after for few minutes of silence in them and looked into his eyes with slightly teary ones. "I really am but I just. . " She sniffed and looked away. "It was too much. Everything was. Losing mum was literally the last of bad things I ever expected to happen with me and I could get a hold of myself."

The long works in midnight often helped in keeping a track of thoughts. If now she thought about it was extremely dangerous for her to do so and she would certainly never repeat it again.

Zaigham leaned forward and took her hand in both of hers. "Look at me Alia," he commanded gently and she looked at him. His own softened at the sight of those huge tears ready to escape. "No matter what you say, it is all understandable. No one will ever hold it against you. I can't imagine life without my Ammi, probably why I'd never understand the extent of what you feel."

His thumb gently ran over her wrist as she sniffed and her shoulders shook. It was very hard to control the tears now that the old woman's had resurfaced. The pain was just as fresh.

"Don't cry," he said but she didn't stop. He stood up and with her hand pulled her towards him after he moved around the table. "Sh, shh," he patted her head.

She sniffed repeatedly as she thought about it. She could have died, gotten kidnapped or enslaved and it would have been her fault.

She should have protected herself better. After all her security was in her hands first before anyone else's. 

He did not how she felt, but knew how he did which is why he stood there, providing his shoulders for as long as she needed.

********

She sighed and massaged her shoulders as she waited for the toasts to pop up. It was for her evening snack. Her eyes hurt by how much she had cried.

"I'm so tired." She murmured as she continue to stare at the two stroke who was taking a good time to popup The toasts. It took surely took its time.

Her phone rang all of a sudden and she was all the more annoyed by the ringtone of it. Why could people not leave her alone?

She left the toasted acid is on the counter and walked to her bedroom where her phone was. Picking up the phone she saw that it was her brother calling which only made her frown.

"Hi baba," she immediately wished him in an affectionate voice. "How are you?" He didn't need to know about her problems.

"Good evening, is it the legal guardian of Advik Ahuja?"

Her eyes went wide as she heard the voice of a foreigner talking. "Yes," she said sharply to the man who had stolen her brother's phone, "Who are you and why are you having my brother's phone?"

"I am deputy Eric Sanders. Your brother has been in an accident and you are needed here immediately."

The toaster finally popped the crunchy bread up.