CHAPTER 31

She looked down to the ring in his hand and then back into his eyes.

"Aa-Arman.."

He chuckled. "Don't worry." He smiled a little, "It's not an engagement ring. It's a promise ring."

"Oh." She sighed in relief then looking up at his alarm. "I didn't mean it like that.."

"It's alright." He waved her off, still talking in whispers. "I guess I should said something before but I would like to make my promises to you." He pulled her hand in his which she reluctantly allowed him to.

"I want to promise you happiness, fidelity and commitment in this relationship. I would take this relationship seriously with future-forward and not as something that I would do for fun. so Alia," he squeezed her hand for attention towards his eyes which she did, "would you do me the honour of wearing my promise ring?"

She smiled. A full toothy smile broke out as she answered. "Yes please."

Taking her out his making his expression changed for a split second which she didn't notice, she placed her hand right in front of his face.

"Here, take it!" She squealed in all excitement making him shush her.

He took the ring out of the box and gently slid it on her ring finger.

"There you go," he kissed her knuckles, "now you belong to me." He said in all seriousness but Alia to get as teasing and giggling.

He smiled looking at her.

His love.

*********

"So what are you wearing today?" Her mother asked as she came into her bedroom to wish a happy birthday and had also laid down next to her.

"I don't know.." She shrugged. "exams had been going on for the past month and I couldn't shop." She tsked. over the year she had ordered many clothes online and she was sure that she could make something good out of them and as it is she had never liked become the centre of attention just because a for birthday and only for one day.

She sighed and got to work.
Satisfied with the look that she had come up with after aggressively searching for half an hour in her wardrobe she went in for a good warm shower.

Today was Alia's favourite breakfast. Poha and that too, without any veggies.

They ruined the taste. She sat down with her family, happy and satisfied with the life she had.

Her mother hugged her once more as they both were out for the day. "Please don't dirty the white sweater." She mumbled into her daughter's shoulder making her laugh.

"Happy birthday!" Shreya came running to her and hugged her, banging their helmets together making Alia cringe at her.

"At least take it off!' she said pulling away but Shreya pulled her back in.
"No!" She stubbornly answered and continued to let her.

She continued to hug Alia and Alia continued to stand and balance her scooter. "Are you done now?" She muttered painfully.

Her mother hadn't hugged her that much. If all of their hugs amounted together, they won't be close to this one.

"Yes." She let go and Alia breathed in relief. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you." Alia smiled as she parked her vehicle and then gave her a proper hug. "Thanks a lot."

They walked inside to their first lecture. The only thing Alia hated for today was that their first class was at 9 am. I wish mine came on Friday, the first lecture would be at 11.
Going into the class she took her regular seat with Shreya. Before Shivani had gone and during the exams, Alia had bonded with Shreya as well and the three had formed a good friendship. Now she was left alone with her and with one more, Harshita. But with harshita, there was only one problem, that she was only in two lectures out of the five they attended.

Alia had also befriended the boys of her batch, it was not as much, yet she was sure that by the end of the year they were going to have a good bond.

The first and second lecture went by and no one knew of Alia's birthday except Shreya. Aliya would have loved to socialize but they were a few things she liked to keep private and not become the centre of attention.

"And there comes our lunch break," Shreya said as she packs her bag, "are we going to the canteen or do you want to go out to eat?"

Alia scoffed. "As if." She stood up. "There is no way that I am eating from the canteen today. Plus I got birthday money, we are eating out."

Moving out of the class, they walked to the hallway and the stairs when someone stopped them, "Hey, happy birthday."

"Thank you." Alia appreciated and watched as the person walked away wondering how did they know.
She turns back around, shook her head and walked forward.

"Happy birthday!" A girl came all smiling at her and Alia can't help but smile back and thank her for the greeting.

Aliya turned to Shreya as the girl walked away and whispered, "How do people know? my Facebook profile is well guarded, no one can see my birthday if they are not my friend and no one here is!"

Shreya shrugged back in return being as clueless as Alia herself, "Even our classmates don't know." She added.

"Someone must have told them. I have not seen those faces on-"

"Happy birthday! Party hard!"

"Thank you." Alia nodded with a forced smile.

"-on the day of orientation. So the must be our seniors."

Another one wished and Alia's frustration peaked. "alright if this is going to continue for the whole day, we need to leave right now."

"Not yet." Shreya tsked.

Alia frowned, "Why not, not? Do you have any idea how irritating that is? people are wishing me happy birthday and I don't even know any of their names."

"Oh, I didn't mean that." Shreya mocked, "it's just that your boyfriend is coming our way with happy birthday balloons in his hands."