CHAPTER 65

Pushing the cart forward she put some more items in it. She didn't even need the amount of sugar she placed in there but it was all done in laziness. 

Sighing, she got to the billing counter and paid via card. Loading the items into the car, she placed the cart back and drove home. 

"Uff," she sighed as she fell down on the sofa. She glanced at the stuff which was in jute bags on the kitchen shelf waiting to be stacked somewhere. 

At least I could make Shaan so it before. Now, I have do it. She wanted to cry now. 

The doorbell rang and she really started to sob. It was Sunday! Why did poeple come? And she did not even now anyone here! 

At least she had cleaned the house today, she thought as she stood and walked to it. 

She twisted the knob open and was surprised to find an old plady standing there. 

"Yes?"

"Alia?" The woman narrowed her eyes. 

"Yes," Alia answered back firmly, narrowing her eyes at the woman. Even if the woman was old, Alia was not going to take pity and be robbed. "Who are you?" 

"I—"

"How could you run out of the car like that!" Alia heard someone yell and they came clsoer. "How did you even reach here with those bones?" 

"You want more?" The woman raised her waking stick At Laksha Auntie and Alia's eyes widened. 

"Don't disrespect your elder." The woman continued to scold. 

Laksha gulped at the sight of the stick and turned to Alia. "Hi baby, all okay?" 

Alia nodded and still kept an eye at the old woman who did the same for her. 

"Do you want to?" She nodded to the inside and Laksha nodded. Both of them came in. 

"I am Armaan's grandmother; Jagriti Chaudhary." The old woman revealed her identity. "I am here to meet you." 

"Why?" Alia blatantly said out. "And on a Sunday?" 

"You have somewhere to be?" Jagriti threw back. 

"Yes." Alia nodded firmly. "I have to be there on half and hour." She was ready to cut it short. 

"Cancel it." Was all the old woman said before sitting down.

********

"Not this, like this." Laksha corrected the way she had placed the cups. "And the biscuits too. Now, give it to her." 

Alia looked at of this. The tea cups with saucers which were taken out last time around five years ago, the biscuits and namkeens, everything, it was too much. 

"Why?" She whispered back and glanced at the woman who was watching tv. "She can do it." 

"She did for her in laws." Laksha told her. "Also, Alia, she's a guest." She tsked in disappointed,  "Now, you do it. House host." 

Alia scoffed. "Wh—"

"Oh yes," Laksha turned around quickly, "If she spanks you, she likes you. Plus, she does that to only family." She winked and walked away. 

What. The. Fuck. 

Alia, for a few seconds, did not move. What the hell was happening? And why was his grandmother here? Did he do this? 

Her hand went up to her pocket only for her to hiss in irritation. She had put it on charge and now she to go there if she wanted to get it and then again she had to go in there to serve. 

She sighed and picked up the heay tray. She would have to do it for any guest that came to her house anyway. 

She bent down respectfully and the ladies each took one. Alia settled down herself with a cup and thought fo what to say.  Her German shepherd puppies at next to her feet, slightly very of the strangers.

"Hm," the grandmother hummed after a her sip, "Did you help her?" She asked her daughter in law who shook her head. 

Jagriti turned to Alia. "This is good." She commented about the tea. 

Alia nodded. "Why are you here?" she cut to the chase.

Jagriti bit back her smile. "What's your age?"

"I'll be twenty six in December." 

"Perfect age to marry, is it not?" The old woman too, cut to the chase. 

Of course she came here for this. "I don't want to, for now." 

"When do you want to?" She asked and looked at the Alia after muting the tv. All of her attention was on the girl now.

Alia thought about it. She had no priorities of marriage for now. For now, her top her priorities were completing the loan she had taken for Shaan's education and then shifting to abroad where he was staying. Then, her life would begin but marriage was still not there.

"I do not know." She answered with a sigh. "I have a  brother to take care of. He is the first priority."

"Ah, yes, yes," The old woman nodded, "The loss of mother made you the second one. Us women have to take control of situations we had never expected to as if we were already prepared for it. You have done a commendable job with him."

Alia nodded in gratefulness. The woman was a creep so she did even bother asking how she knew. All she wanted now was the woman to leave.

Jagriti Chaudhary stood up and so did the other two. Walking to the girl, the older woman smiled ans patted her head. "As compared to this one," she glanced at Laksha, "You are braver. Keep the fire within you."

Ten minutes later, when the ladies of the Chaudhary family were seated in a moving car the younger asked, "Mother, what was the meaning of the last sentence? Why did you say it?"

Jagriti smiled as she looked out of the window, "One needs to change with time. Perhaps a matriarch would be great."

"