CHAPTER 58

"H-hi." Alia stuttered as she looked at the two of them.

Laksha looked shocked at her sight and turned to Arman immediately. She hit him on the back of his head. "Why was I not told that Alia was back in town?!" She scolded him and Alia intervened immediately.

"Well, it's just been a whole week that I have been back." She explained. "I haven't even called my friends yet." She said, hoping that would make a difference.

"Friends?!" Laksha screeched now looking at Alia in anger. "Young lady, I thought we were past friends and were family but now I'm afraid I think I was wrong!" She pushed past Alia and moved to the office of Arman with him silently following his mother behind.

She glanced at them and pressed the lifts button.

"If you even step into that lift I would not think twice before bringing you back by ear."

Alia stepped back and followed behind like Arman.

Instead of sitting on the sofa set Laksha sat behind the desk where Arman's seat was. Then she pointed at Alia to take one.

Shit, this is scary that the principles office. But she did as told.

"You left." The woman stated and Alia just nodded.

The chubby and lively women had surely gotten strict over time.
"Why?" She asked.

Alia shrugged. She truly had no answer but the look that Laksha gave her next had her sing like a cannery.
"I. . .  Everything . .everywhere reminded me of mum and I just no longer could continue."

Laksha sighed heavily. Alia had no idea how but over the past five years, Laksha had gotten spectacles which she took off and looked at her with the same tenderness that she had given Alia her mother had passed away.

"I know child, it is a loss that is incomparable." She took Alia's hand in hers. "I truly understand that the memories can be overwhelming for someone who is at such a tender age. I get that you wanted to go away but what hurts the most was," she tightened the grip a little bit, "you chose to run away instead of talking to us."

Her heart thundered as she realised where Laksha was coming from. But to be honest Alia and Arman's relationship have not promised anyone or given a guarantee that they would eventually get married. So Laksha had no reason to feel bad if Alia left out of nowhere.

"But—"

"Nevermind," Laksha stood up and came to Alia making her stand up. She pulled the young girl close and hugged her making Alia melt at a mother's touch. "I know that even these five years life has not given you peace and happiness. But now that you are back, I will make sure that you are the happiest person here."

Five years? Did they know?

"B-but, how do you know?" It was right for her to ask how was it that Laksha and anyone belonging to her past knew about her grand parent's death because she had informed no one about it.

Laksha laughed and cupped her cheek as she moved away from the hug. "Don't tell me you never expected me to know. I have considered you as my daughter from the very day Armaan told me about your relationship. It was obvious that I and Siddharth knew what was happening around you."

And that give me even more creeps.  "Ye—know, I thought that—"

"Have you had your lunch yet?"
Alia shook her head, irritated that Laksha was interrupted her again and again.
"Well then eat first. It is not right to think on empty stomach. Come, I'll serve you."

Before that, the elder lady decided that she had to wash her hands because of which she left the young couple alone in the room.

Alia, who had taken a seat at the three-seater couch, looked at Arman who was already looking at her. "I thought you understood that whatever we had was over."

"Says who?" He challenged calmy. He looked like he had all the time in the world.

"I did." She stated firmly. "And I think that you should tell your mother about it."

He merely scoffed in return.