The Unexpected Stop Part 1

IVY'S POV

        After nearly 72 hours of driving with only stops for coffee, gas, and bathroom breaks. That's after 3 days on a bus to a town 3 hours away from the only friend, Dean doesn't know about. An old friend from junior high. I had Sarah meet me 3 hours away from her home so he couldn't find out about her, hopefully. She was sweet enough to buy me a car in her name. Also, she tells me about a cousin who could make me new documents with a new ID. I still have a while to go to get to Washington. I hope that all the way across the country from my Miami, Florida roots will be far enough. I am so happy to see a sign for Jamestown 15 miles. I am hopeful that I can stop for some dinner.

     As usual, luck is not on my side. Just a mile past the sign my damn car starts to smoke and then dies. It's about 8 o'clock in the evening, nearly dark on a deserted back road. "Great," I say talking to myself.  "Just my luck. What now? I have no phone, since they can be traced, a broken car, and miles from anywhere." I scream and start to cry. I am having myself a big Ol' pity party. I don't even hear the vehicle pull up behind me. I am startled by the tapping on my window. I glance to see a kind-looking woman in her 40s. She has a few tattoos with kind gray eyes and a sweet smile. I crack my window and say a timid, "Hello?" "Hello sweetheart, my name is Sheila. Do you need some help?" Sheila gasps as she notices the healing bruises but doesn't say anything and smiles kindly at me. "Yes, please. Do you have a phone or know somewhere I can get my car fixed?" I ask. "By the way my name is Ivy." I state and give her a timid smile again. "Closest shop is about 45 minutes away and ran by my husband and sons," Sheila answers. "Also, yes you can use my phone. Do you have family or friends nearby that you are going to?" "No. My family is all dead and no friends near here." I answer. "I need to call a friend to let her know what happened, so she doesn't expect me tomorrow." Sheila hands me her phone to make my call. She also steps back to her SUV to give me some privacy. I call Sarah and let her know to tell the guy in Seattle that I am broke down and will let him know when I can get there.

    I open my door and walk back to Sheila. "Thanks for the use of the phone. Do you think you husband or sons could tow and look at my car?" I ask. "Of course, they can.  Before I call them, I can see your bruises and I figure you are running from a bad situation. That is fine but I want to let you know in case you are scared of men right now.... my husband is the president of the Sons of Silence MC. My sons are in the MC too. The shop is owned and run by the club members. I can promise that they won't hurt you and will protect you while you are here." Sheila quickly tells me. I am a little scared of the idea, but I hope I can trust Sheila. "I am running from an abusive ex and his partner. They are both cops back in Miami. I am scared of men, but I trust you, so I will deal. Hopefully, it doesn't take long for my car to be fixed, I need to get to a friend of a friend that can help with a false identity." I tell her. "Since it is late on a Saturday, they won't be able to work on it until Monday, but they will have a prospect with the tow truck come to tow it," she informs me. 

    "Shit!" I exclaim, "Is there a motel or hotel near where I can get a room?" "Not without ID and since you are running and hiding, I don't think you want that," Sheila states. "But I do have a spare room that you are welcome to though. Just grab what you need and hop in with me. I will take you home with me," Sheila tells me. "Thank you. Are you sure your family won't mind? I don't want to cause any trouble." I inform her nervously. "It will be fine. I am sure and it is no trouble at all." Sheila states. I grab a few bags from my trunk and puts them in the back of the SUV. Sheila tells me when I get in the passenger seat, that she has to stop by the clubhouse to drop off a couple of items. She promises it won't take long and right after that we will head to her house. I buckle in and try to start to relax for the first time in nearly a week. I don't even notice my eyelids getting heavy as the darkness takes me.