I'm Sorry, Who's Your Mate?

By raylor17

Paige Warren knows what the world is capable of. Taken by hunters for three years, she escapes to find everyt... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 (Part 1)
Chapter 29 (Part 2)
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
*Bonus Chapter*
Epilogue

Chapter 21

167K 2.9K 149
By raylor17

So this is a little shorter than I would have liked, more of a filler to be honest, but I really wanted to get something out. I end school in about a week so just a few more days and then we'll be good to go for some more frequent uploads.

I've been getting a lot of requests for more James and I promise he's coming up soon. I don't think he'll be in the next chapter, which I have planned out so it'll be up soon, but he'll be coming around after that. 

Thank you to everyone who votes and comments and fans. You guys continue tos how your support and I appreciate it. Thank you to the silent readers who show support just by reading. I appreciate it :)

(Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes)

**************************************************************************************************

Chapter 21

Paige’s POV:

            We all stared at each other, shock evident on our faces. Sutton? Pregnant? I almost wanted to laugh at how weird it felt to think about it. I already knew she would be an amazing mother, she did raise me after all. It was just odd to picture her with a baby that shared her and Evan’s features, a baby that would be all hers. I frowned as a spurt of jealousy ran through me directed towards any future child of Sutton’s. She would always be my mom but no matter how much I wished it weren’t true, she would always only be my adoptive mom. Any future children of hers would be able to have the happiness of calling her mom knowing that her blood ran through them. In that second, I wished desperately that she had been my biological mom.

            “Pregnant?” Sutton whispered, her face pale.

            “Come on.” Lisa suddenly said, grabbing Sutton’s hand. She gestured for me to follow, respecting my aversion to her touch, and led us out of the bathroom.

            “Where are we going?” I asked, rushing to keep up with her rapid pace.

            “Drugstore.” Lisa muttered, lowering her voice as we stepped into the hallway.

            “And may I ask why we’re going to the store?” Lisa stopped and gave Sutton a disbelieving stare.

            “Are you really that daft? First you don’t figure out that you’re most likely pregnant and now you can’t figure out that we have to go to the store to get a pregnancy test? Aren’t you studying to be a doctor?” Sutton glared at Lisa and placed her hands on her hips.

            “One, that was slightly hurtful. Two, I’ve been busy. Excuse me for not putting everything together so quickly. You know the last few weeks have been stressful, I just assumed I had the stomach flu. And three, we may be best friends but I’m trying really hard to rein in my wolf because she is not happy about the tone of voice you’re using.” Sutton snapped back.

            “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to talk to you like that.” Lisa apologized.

            “It’s ok. I can be pretty unobservant.” Sutton smiled brightly, her voice coming out calm and cheerful. A total contrast to a second ago.

            “Pregnant women and their mood swings.” Lisa muttered to me and shook her head.

            “Wait, we can’t just leave. Everyone is here for dinner.” Sutton interjected as we moved down the stairs.

            “They’ll have to put that on hold, this kind of takes priority don’t you think?” Lisa rolled her eyes impatiently and reached for the door. I froze as I felt it, the undeniable pull. He was somewhere close by.

            “Should I get Evan?” Sutton suddenly stopped in her tracks and slapped a hand to her mouth. “Oh God, what if he doesn’t want a kid? What am I supposed to do then? What if I’m pregnant and he doesn’t want the baby? I’ve got school and work and Alpha duties! I can’t have a kid Lisa, I’m too busy!”

            “Calm yourself woman!” Lisa growled, looking around to make sure no one had caught the outburst. “You’re giving yourself a panic attack that quite frankly, is unnecessary. Evan loves you and if you do happen to be pregnant, then he’ll love that child too. We don’t even know for sure if you’re pregnant which is why we have to go to the store and find out. With that being said, let’s go!” Lisa gestured for us to move through the door when it suddenly opened and a group of teenagers spilled in. I halted in my tracks, butterflies erupting within me.

            My mate stood in front of me, looking at me with his head tilted to the side.

            I let my eyes wander over the people that stood with him, finding a few familiar faces. I finally gave into my wolf’s desires and met his gaze for a fraction of a second, instantly feeling the longing and affection bloom in me. I wanted nothing more than to run to his arms and hold onto him but I couldn’t do that. I couldn’t do that to him. I had yet to get to know him but I could already tell he was a good person. I wouldn’t taint him with all that I was and all that I had been through. My only hope was that eventually he would move on and find someone that was actually worth the adoration that shined in his eyes as he looked at me.

            “Pepper!” Conrad yelled, his excitement evident. I jumped, forgetting there were other people in the room. Lisa and Sutton looked around, confused.

            “Who’s Pepper?” Lisa asked to no one in particular.

            “Hey, it’s you again!” Aiden’s sure stare made me feel more than a little uncomfortable.

            “Who’s she?” A brown haired girl stepped up and glanced at me curiously.

            “Who? Pepper?” Conrad asked, slinging an arm around her shoulders.

            “Paige.” James corrected, not taking his eyes off her.

            “You’re right.” The girl nodded at Aiden, tilting her head to the side. I’d obviously missed something he said through the pack link.

            “I can’t place it. The name even sounds familiar.” Aiden commented. I shifted uncomfortably under everyone’s scrutinizing stares.

            “What’s with the hold up at the door? Why is everyone stop-” A girl’s voice got closer and closer until a head of curly brown hair popped up. I recognized her as the girl I’d been introduced to earlier. Chrissy I think Evan said her name was. “Oh, it’s you.”

            “Chrissy!” The first brunette spoke, frowning at her in disapproval. “Don’t be rude, she’s obviously new.” Chrissy rolled her eyes before the other girl turned back to me, smiling. “I’m Nora and as James has pointed out, you must me Paige. It’s nice to meet you.”

            “You too.” I murmured. Other than Ariel, I didn’t have any friends and meeting new people was hard.

            “Well since they haven’t introduced themselves, I’ll do it for them.” Nora gestured to a few guys and girls that stood behind her before listing off names. “You know Aiden and James, that’s Chrissy, and next to her are Max and Cory, that over there would be Jill and her mate Adam. That brings me to the dork who has his arm around me,” She grinned affectionately at Conrad before looking back at me. “This is my mate Conrad.”

            “Hello.” Was that the right word to say to a group of silent people who are just content to look at you?

            “Well who’s up for some dinner?” A blond haired Jill spoke up, looking around when no one responded.

            “Actually Sutton, Paige, and I have to run to the store to get something so we’ll be a little late. Can you let Evan know please?” Lisa interrupted, smiling kindly at Jill.

            “Sure.”

            “What do you need to get?” Nora asked, probably wondering how the new girl was already close with two of the most powerful members in the pack.

            “What?” Lisa asked, frowning.

            “The store? What is it that you need to get before dinner?” Nora laughed at Lisa’s confused expression.

            “Oh right. Well, it seems that there is a shortage on…” Lisa fumbled around, scrunching her nose up as she thought. It seemed quite clear to me that we were trying to hide something.

            “Milk! We’re out of milk.” Sutton suddenly exclaimed. She nodded to herself before continuing on. “I really wanted some milk and we didn’t have any and so now we are going to the store…to get some milk.” Sutton clarified, trailing off.

            “That’s weird. I could have sworn Anita just bought milk yesterday.” Nora frowned but shrugged, accepting Sutton’s obvious lie.

            “Weird.” Lisa agreed. “Ok, well we’re going to the store now to get Sutton’s cheese so we’ll be seeing you.”

            “Cheese? I thought you wanted milk.” We really must me the world’s worst liars.

            “Cheese?” Lisa froze before pretending to look confused.

            “You said you were going to the store to get Sutton’s cheese but she just said she wanted milk.” Nora now looked confused as well.

            “I said milk.” Lisa stated seriously.

            “No you said cheese.” Nora argued.

            “No, I don’t think so.” Lisa countered, shaking her head.

            “Well we should be going now.” I interjected, using Nora’s moment of confusion as an opening to leave.

            “Bye Pepper!” Conrad yelled as I walked outside. I didn’t turn around but I could practically feel the heat of James’ gaze on me as I headed towards Sutton’s car.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.8M 547K 32
"Y-your H-highness? I-i'm sorry b-but t-there m-must b-be a-a m-mistake..." A loud growl sounded through the whole ballroom causing me to start shaki...
631K 16K 16
Selene Reed has had no contact with the Red Moon pack for years. Now all of a sudden she is called to a pack meeting. What will Selene do when she fi...
278K 8.7K 32
"A queen doesn't need a crown on her head to be one" What if everything you thought was a lie? What if someone you trusted turned their back to you...
297K 11.2K 38
It should have been easy as "1.2.3". 1- turn 18 2 - find your mate 3 - be happily mated together for ever. What isn't easy is fate. It can be kind...