Dragon Age Inquisition: The L...

By Julianne_Winters

Started: June 9/2017 (On hold)[Not completed] **Warning: Contains spoilers for DA2: Tale of the Hawke** #1 in... More

1: Lord Trevelyan
2: Your Worship
3: Herald of Andraste
4: Lord Pavus
5: Felix Alexius
6: Gereon Alexius
7: The Chosen One
8: Red Templars
9: Inquisitor
10: Warden Stroud
11: Magister Halward
12: Birthright
13: Adamant
14: The Grey Wardens
15: Old Gods
16: The Mark
17: Foci
18: Burdens
19: Herald's Rest
20: Chess
21: Dinner
22: Dessert
23: Winter Palace
24: Orlesians
25: Andraste
26: Lady Morrigan
27: Solas
28: Curses
29: Demons
30: The Barracks
31: Fears
32: Abstinence
33: White Wolf
34: Compulsion
36: Confessions
37: False Identity
38: Ancestors
39: Nobles
40: Snowy Wyvern
41: Wolves
42: Visitors
43: Abelas
44: Dread Wolf
45: Creators
46: Champion
47: Lyrium Ghost
48: Secrets
49: Dreamers
50: The Fade
51: Dreams
52: Corypheus
53: Archdemon
54: Proposals
55: Mythal
56: Eluvian
57: Joined
58: Cure
59: Missing
60: Carriages
61: Somniari
62: Sanctuary
63: Qarinus
64: Help
65: Maevaris
66: Fen'Harel
67: New Friends
68: Plans
69: Compelled
70: Magisters
71: Rescue
72: Barrier
73: Reunion

35: Escalating

157 9 0
By Julianne_Winters

Dorian

He was ashamed of himself. Not because he hadn't thought his nightmares the result of a spell, nor because he'd believed he could handle it alone. No. He was ashamed he'd not told Nathaniel. The man only wanted to help and out of a foolish desire to protect him, he'd scared him instead.

He held onto him for a long time while he listened to Nathaniel's peaceful breathing as he slept. How could he possibly believe he was good enough for this man? He was always making the wrong choices. Keeping things hidden, covering his true feelings with wit and sarcasm, refusing his offers of help. It was obvious to everyone at Skyhold Nathaniel loved him, but he still didn't understand why.

He'd thought to ask, but voicing the doubts in his head made him sound weak and pathetic. Like he had no confidence in himself at all, making all his boasting of his finer traits nothing but lies. How could a man like the Inquisitor love someone like that? A man who saw who and what people really were behind their masks? Did he just not see Dorian's faults? Or how insecure he was about his own ability and power? And if he did see them, why in Andraste's name did he put up with him?

He wiped the damp from his cheeks with a weary sigh. Enough. All this self-doubt was coming from the spell he'd been under. He couldn't recall much of anything from his dreams aside from the feelings he'd experienced. Loss, failure, fear, anger and the overwhelming sense that no matter what he did, he would be inadequate to whatever lay ahead.

He understood the spell had drawn power from any small memory of an emotion he carried and amplified it. It didn't matter if the feelings had originated in childhood or last week. If he had ever experienced any of them in his life, the spell had been designed to feed on it and make it grow so big it consumed him.

It had been a very successful and very powerful enchantment. He was almost certain that if Nathaniel hadn't woken him, it would have completed it's purpose. Binding him so tight to those raw and devastating emotions that no counter-spell could have saved him.

What scared him most, was how quickly it had worked. He knew he would normally have mentioned the nightmare the first night he'd had it. Which could only mean the spell had been designed to isolate him first, make him believe it was nothing. That he could handle it alone and was nothing to be concerned about.

He frowned then, his anger rising. What made no sense at all was why. Why would anyone, including Solas, want to torture him like this? What was the purpose of it all?

He had no answers to that. Even Nathaniel's theory about Solas and the Dread Wolf didn't make sense, though he had to admit it made a good story. Sighing, he realized just how tired he was. Snuggling closer to Nathaniel's reassuring presence, he closed his eyes and promptly fell asleep.

Nathaniel

After killing the dragon which had been guarding the final dwarven Thaig, we returned to Skyhold. Though I had no love for killing dragons, in many ways the fight had been a blessing. We were all tense and frustrated over what had happened last night. Killing the dragon had given us a way to release all our pent up tension.

Bull, of course, was ecstatic. Killing a dragon was high on his list of most awesome things to do. He couldn't stop talking about how glorious it had been to defeat such a magnificent creature and his exuberance sustained us all the way back to Skyhold. So much so, that by the time we arrived we were all in better moods.

My earlier rage toward Solas had diminished and I was no longer in danger of killing him outright. The battle with the dragon and the trip back had given me time to distance myself from my feelings and I viewed the event as a puzzle. I still wanted to kill whoever was responsible, but I was no longer fuelled by blind rage.

I needed more information before I did anything and to do that, I needed to be rational. The dragon battle and Bull's excitement had helped remind me of the bigger picture.

But all the calm I'd just been reveling in dissipated as we entered Skyhold's courtyard. Everything was in chaos and I was instantly on alert. One of Leliana's agents saw me and ran up to us, breathless as we dismounted our horses.

"Your Worship!" She cried. "It's good you've returned. Something's happened! You must come quickly!"

Maker's breath, what now? I wondered as we hurried after her into the castle.

The main hall was completely deserted aside from Cullen, Cassandra, Josephine and Leliana. I could see the collective sigh of relief they displayed as soon as they saw me.

"Inquisitor." Leliana began. "We have a situation here, as you've probably already noticed."

"What's going on?"

"I have informed the others of the incidents regarding yourself and Lord Pavus." She said. "Unfortunately, we missed a few things."

"What are you talking about? What things?"

"Someone transferred the magic cast on you and Dorian to the locations where they were first discovered." Cassandra said.

"One of the nobles became convinced there was a demon hiding in the stairwell and caused a panic." Leliana continued. "And no one has been able to touch the two doors leading to the library since."

I frowned. "If that's true, how did you get out?"

"The magic is on this side of the door Inquisitor. I came down to see what all the fuss was about and then couldn't return to the rookery."

"Is Solas still in there?" I asked.

Cullen frowned. "That's an odd question Inquisitor. But we don't actually know. None of us can get in."

"And I can't get a message to anyone inside the tower." Leliana added.

"I'm sensing there's more to this than just a frightened noble." Dorian noted.

At this, they all looked as though they were guilty of some horrible crime.

"A few of our recruits are dead Your Worship." Josephine said in answer to Dorian's comment.

"Dead? How?"

"We found them inside Dorian's old room. We don't know how they got in or how they got past the guards we had stationed there." Cullen said, looking ashamed.

"How did they die?" Dorian asked, looking tense.

"We're not sure." Leliana answered. "But it appears they may have killed each other."

"Appears? You mean no weapons were found?"

"None Inquisitor."

"So then how...?"

"We believe they did it with their bare hands." Cullen finished.

"Andraste's ass." I muttered, earning myself a stern look from both Leliana and Josephine. "Sorry ladies. So what do we do about this?"

"I might have a suggestion." Called a sultry voice from behind me.

Everyone turned to stare at Morrigan as she joined our little group.

"Yes Lady Morrigan? What do you suggest?"

"You're aware I am a mage yes? I can clear any remaining spells within the castle and the grounds. And if someone would kindly show me this cursed room, I may be able to fix that as well. Perhaps even identify the person behind all this. I only wonder why my assistance wasn't sought sooner." She said, directing the comment at Leliana.

"I apologize Morrigan." Leliana said, inclining her head to her. "In all the confusion, I had forgotten you were here."

Morrigan laughed. "Oh I rather doubt that Lady Nightingale, but perhaps we can discuss it another time. I will attempt to rid the ward from the doors now. With your permission of course, Inquisitor."

I nodded and she crossed to the first door, stretching out her hands. "My, my." She muttered. "Someone certainly enjoys their little games."

Closing her eyes, she muttered a few words under her breath before flicking her hands at the door, blue and white light radiating from her palms. It impacted the door spreading outward, tracing a path up the wall on a course that followed the staircase on the other side. It glowed and pulsed for several minutes before disappearing from sight. Moving to the second door, she repeated the same ritual only this time, the light travelled straight up before taking a spiralling route up the wall in an echo of the second set of stairs.

Returning to us, she smiled, though I could sense she was disturbed by whatever she'd learned from the spell on the door.

"It is done." She said, wiping her hands down the front of her shirt as though to clean them. "Now if someone would kindly show me this cursed room, I will see what I can do."

"Follow me Lady Morrigan." Cullen said, bowing slightly.

"Thank you Commander." She said, catching my eye as Cullen turned away. "Once I am finished there, we should meet privately."

"I agree." I said. "I hope you're able to help Morrigan and I thank you for your assistance."

"It's what I'm here for is it not? But you are welcome, regardless."

After she left, the rest of us stared at each other I silence which Varric broke quickly.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I need a drink." He muttered.

"I need to return to the rookery." Leliana said.

"And I wish to check on Lady Morrigan's progress." Cassandra announced, taking off after Cullen.

"Well then." Josephine huffed. "It seems we have successfully dealt with the danger. For now. If you will excuse me Inquisitor? I have several letters of apology to write."

I nodded as she headed back to her office. I glanced at Dorian, meeting his eyes.

"Care for a drink?"

"Or several."

"Good. Let's go." I said hurrying to catch up with Varric.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 1.3K 51
The real world skins you alive. It's a hazard of growing up in rural Suffolk... or possibly, it's a hazard of growing up. Either way, the Dorian Andr...
1.4K 47 6
Overwhelmed by the events at the Winter Palace in Halamshiral, Nathaniel Trevelyan does not take Dorian's departure well. Or, anger does not ease the...
2K 124 56
Be kind, this is my first attempt at writing :P A dragon age fanfiction that featutes adventure and sex combined with heartache and tragedy along the...
9K 303 33
~MASS EFFECT: BOOK 2 of 3~ *Book 1 is English Bay Blues *Continues in: Lazarus Project Ranked #5 in Mass Effect Promoted to Staff Lieutenant and rea...