Dragon Age Inquisition: The L...

By Julianne_Winters

Started: June 9/2017 (On hold)[Not completed] **Warning: Contains spoilers for DA2: Tale of the Hawke** #1 in... More

1: Lord Trevelyan
2: Your Worship
3: Herald of Andraste
4: Lord Pavus
5: Felix Alexius
6: Gereon Alexius
7: The Chosen One
8: Red Templars
10: Warden Stroud
11: Magister Halward
12: Birthright
13: Adamant
14: The Grey Wardens
15: Old Gods
16: The Mark
17: Foci
18: Burdens
19: Herald's Rest
20: Chess
21: Dinner
22: Dessert
23: Winter Palace
24: Orlesians
25: Andraste
26: Lady Morrigan
27: Solas
28: Curses
29: Demons
30: The Barracks
31: Fears
32: Abstinence
33: White Wolf
34: Compulsion
35: Escalating
36: Confessions
37: False Identity
38: Ancestors
39: Nobles
40: Snowy Wyvern
41: Wolves
42: Visitors
43: Abelas
44: Dread Wolf
45: Creators
46: Champion
47: Lyrium Ghost
48: Secrets
49: Dreamers
50: The Fade
51: Dreams
52: Corypheus
53: Archdemon
54: Proposals
55: Mythal
56: Eluvian
57: Joined
58: Cure
59: Missing
60: Carriages
61: Somniari
62: Sanctuary
63: Qarinus
64: Help
65: Maevaris
66: Fen'Harel
67: New Friends
68: Plans
69: Compelled
70: Magisters
71: Rescue
72: Barrier
73: Reunion

9: Inquisitor

248 15 0
By Julianne_Winters

Dorian

After fleeing the battlefield and reaching the relative safety of the Chantry, he felt his heart still when the Herald failed to join them.

"We can't just leave him!" He argued, echoing Varric as Cassandra scowled at them.

"We don't have a choice Dorian." She reminded them. "The Herald is who Corypheus wants. He said he would buy us time to escape. I will respect his wishes."

"So you're just going to abandon him?"

"Look mage, I don't know why he agreed to let you stay. But he did. Don't throw away what he's given us by sacrificing yourself. If you have any faith at all, trust in the Maker to see him safely returned to us."

Dorian clenched his teeth as she spoke. Much as he hated her words, he knew she meant only to remind him of what was important. But it didn't mean he had to like it.

On that Varric agreed with him, but even he fell into step behind Cassandra as she led them out of Haven.

----xxx----

It had been hours since they'd set up camp. They'd come through a narrow passage in the mountains and settled in a small, sheltered clearing. He was beside himself with regret and recriminations. He should have stayed. He should have gone back to help the Herald. Without him, those he travelled with had already begun to slip back into looking at him with suspicion and dislike. He wouldn't be able to remain without the Herald's support. Andraste's flaming ass, but he had made yet another mistake he couldn't fix.

It was then he heard the Herald's advisors shouting.

"There he is!" Cassandra cried.

"Thank the Maker." Cullen said.

"Quickly, get him into the camp." Leliana advised. "He's injured and needs healing."

Dorian heard it all and felt his breath catch at the mention of healing. Why? What had happened to him? He itched to ask someone or offer his assistance, but knew he would be turned away. Grumbling to himself, he dug out a small flask of whisky he'd been saving and drank deeply while he and everyone else waited for the Herald to recover.

The Dawn Will Come

The Herald

After resting for several hours, I spoke to Solas. Soon after, we set out to find a stronghold he called Skyhold he assured me was there for the taking.

The ancient stronghold Solas had described didn't do the place justice. Before us lay a massive, fortified castle, complete with a long defensible bridge, towers, barracks, a tavern and stable. Once we were inside the walls of the stronghold, my advisors called me over and asked if I would be the leader of the Inquisition.

"This was a unanimous decision?" I asked, surprised by their confidence and faith in me.

"It was." Cassandra confirmed. "We need a leader, someone to guide us in the days ahead. Who better than the one who has already been leading us through this chaos?"

Humbled, I raised the sword they offered me skyward while those who had joined our cause gathered below and cheered my acceptance of the title of Inquisitor. "I do this because it is right." I said loudly. "And to bring order back to all of Thedas."

We made our way inside where the castle had clearly seen better days. Broken floorboards, shattered glass and rotted furniture lay strewn about the main hall.

"Seems we have our work cut out for us." Leliana drawled.

"More importantly, we now have a name for our enemy." Cullen added.

"But who is Corypheus?" Josephine wondered. "None of us have ever heard of him before."

"I might be able to help with that." Varric offered, joining us. "In all the excitement, the name jogged my memory and I got in touch with an old friend who might be able to help."

"Thanks Varric." I said. "Introduce me."

"It might be better if we do this in private. Parading through Skyhold might cause a bit of a stir. Meet me on the battlements when you have a moment."

Curious, I watched him leave before turning back to catch the gaze of my advisors.

"At any rate, we stand ready to move on these matters at your convenience Inquisitor." Josephine said.

"I know one thing for certain." Leliana murmured. "If Varric has brought who I think he has, Cassandra is going to kill him."

Dorian

Having arrived at the mysterious castle in the middle of nowhere, he had made a quick tour of the place. On the second floor of the rotunda, he was pleased to discover a well-stocked and still intact library. He'd had enough of the stares and suspicious glances on the trek there and wanted nothing more than to hide himself away from prying eyes.

With the Herald now named their official leader and crowned the Inquisitor, he suspected the man would have little time to chat. A part of him was saddened by the sudden rise to power. It made his own presence there more suspect.

A Tevinter mage with no title, no money and no power would easily be seen as a grasping manipulator. He wasn't that, but he'd learned long ago people would believe what they wanted and denying it only made it worse.

He was absorbed in reading the spines of the books on a nearby shelf when he heard footsteps on the stairs behind him. Steeling himself, he braced for whoever might be about to set him on the defensive and was stunned to see the Inquisitor standing there.

"So Corypheus claims to be one of the ancient magisters who stormed the Black City and doomed us all to the horror of the Blights. How refreshing to realize my homeland is responsible for everything wrong in the world." He paused as his words seemed to have no affect on the man. "What's the matter? Am I speaking too quickly for you?"

"I was distracted." He replied, his eyes glinting.

"By my wit and charm?" He teased. "I have plenty of both."

"You're very confident."

"Yes, well. It was us all along. We destroyed the world." Dorian reminded him, suddenly uncomfortable.

"It's not your fault Dorian." The Inquisitor said.

"No one with thank me, whatever happens. No one will thank you either. You know that yes?"

"I'm not doing this for their approval." He replied.

"I see." Dorian nodded, impressed by the man's confidence. "But enough about that. Oh and congratulations on that whole Inquisitor business. Glad to see someone's capable of taking charge."

Inquisitor

I stared at him as he walked away, perusing the bookshelves as he went. The man was so hard to read. I was certain he was interested in me, but not in what way. Was he someone who flirted and teased everyone who spoke to him? Or was it more personal? I just couldn't tell.

Frustrated by the exchange, I headed outside to the battlements to meet with Varric's friend. When I saw the slim, attractive and dark-haired woman standing there, I wasn't surprised. "You must be the Champion." I said, greeting her warmly.

"I am, but I don't use that title much these days."

"I understand." I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant.

She went on to explain what had brought her to Skyhold and we arranged to meet with her Warden friend in Crestwood as soon as I could get away. Her friend knew something about the disappearance of the other Wardens and wanted to help.

The mention of Wardens reminded me of Blackwall. I hadn't had time to return to the Hinterlands and wondered if Cassandra had been able to track him down. After I spoke with her, she directed me to the stables where a rough-looking man with a generous black beard and moustache was sitting by a fire.

He was friendly enough, though he had nothing to offer me by way of knowing anything about Corypheus or where the other Wardens had gone. Given what Hawke had just told me about the Warden's history with Corypheus, I found it more than a little suspicious.

Yet he seemed sincere enough in his desire to make a difference, so I shrugged off my misgivings and welcomed him to the Inquisition. Besides, I had enough to worry about without adding my companion's personal secrets to the burden I was carrying. I was content enough in their willingness to join that they could keep their secrets for the time being. I was overwhelmed enough already.

Dorian

He'd done it again, he thought miserably. Brushed aside the Inquisitor's interest as though it were nothing. He was beside himself with fear and indecision and he didn't much like it. He was almost positive the man had been flirting with him, but he couldn't tell if it was real interest, or just an attempt to make him feel welcome.

After their talk, he lost all interest in the books scattered about and had wandered outside to the battlements where he had a view of the courtyard below. He watched as the Inquisitor headed to a tower and spoke with two figures who were waiting for him. From there, the Inquisitor headed for the barracks and spoke briefly with Cassandra before making his way to the stables on the other end of the large courtyard.

He sighed as he watched him. Whether or not the Inquisitor was interested in him was moot at this point. For now, he was content to admire him from a distance. No one could fault him for that as everyone seemed to show the man a level of respect borne of admiration. If asked, he could simply state what was clearly on everyone else's mind. The Inquisitor was a man to be admired and respected. Simple enough, yet he still found himself anticipating their next chat.

He was still watching when the Inquisitor returned to the entrance to Skyhold. He must have sensed his eyes upon him for he looked up and beamed at him when their eyes met. Surprised, Dorian managed a quick, halting smile before retreating back inside to his claimed space in the library. His heart was pounding as he settled into a chair, a book clutched in his hand.

Well, that was certainly not my imagination, he thought. As the Inquisitor's eyes had met his, he had the distinct impression of seeing hunger and desire reflected there. Definitely more than mere friendship at any rate.

Buoyed by the thought, the tension he held in his shoulders relaxed and a sigh escaped him. Feeling better about joining the Inquisition than he had in weeks, he settled in to read more about the land he now found himself in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

444 8 5
Hawke and Isabela's journey throughout Dragon Age 2 until Isabela decides to admit her feelings, this time with a little more depth! ───────── Chapt...
2K 78 33
Idhren was born a slave, and that's what he expected to be the rest of his life. Until he develops an unexpected talent for magic. The first mage in...
35.1K 2.1K 70
Realin Mahariel was one of the wandering peoples, the Dalish. Content with the life she was leading, a chance encounter with an ancient relic changes...
2K 124 56
Be kind, this is my first attempt at writing :P A dragon age fanfiction that featutes adventure and sex combined with heartache and tragedy along the...