Firsts & Lasts

By wastedtimez

COMPLETED NOVALEE JOHÄNSON finally has the opportunity to do what she wants in life. Starting with applying a... More

Firsts & Lasts.
First Days.
Last Frat Party of the Summer.
First Day of Class.
Last Time.
First of Many.
Last Encounters.
First Kiss?
Last Year at Oak Hill.
First, Second Chance.
Last Blonde.
First 'Fuck You's'.
Last Time Drinking.
First Sleepover.
Last Project Day.
First to Tell.
Last Conversation.
First Game.
Last C!
First Meeting.
Last Embarrassing Moment.
First Fling.
Last Weeks Events.
First Chats.
Last Study Session.
First Loss.
Last Christmas.
First Realization.
Last Night.
First Feeling.
Last Date for Maddy.
First Outing.
Last Drink.
First Confession.
Last Hangover.
First Suspicion Resolved.
Last Minute.
First Fight.
Last Struggle.
First Surprise.
First Attack.
Last Lie.
First Goodbyes.
Last Regression.
First Step Forward.
Last Party.
First Nights.
Last Apologies.
First Everythings.
Last Wish.
Firsts & Lasts Always.
Bonus Chapter One.

Last Impressions.

10.5K 230 27
By wastedtimez

Christian

I sit in the booth of Nova and I's favorite restaurant here in Oak Hill. She called me about two hours ago to tell me her parents wanted to meet me, again. Tonight. She had told me that her parents were protective of her because of her ex boyfriend, so I figured it wouldn't be easy for me, her boyfriend now.

Fuck you, Devon.

I made sure to get here extra early, I didn't want them to think I arrive late to things, even though I do most times. But then again, their daughter is always late to things herself, so maybe they're the same way. I think I came a little too early though. We agreed on 8:00 and it's 7:55 but I've been here for fifteen minutes. The waiter had taken my order for a drink, water of course, and has left three extra menus.

My eyes shift towards the door whenever I hear it open until I finally see Novalee walk through the doors. I smile and she returns it, a little nervous. I'm nervous too, but I'm not going to let myself ruin this. I need to do this for us. I know how important her parents are to her, which means they're important to me. I hug her first and she finds her way into the booth. I greet her parents again, this time it's a little bit more intimidating.

She let me know how telling her parents about us went. It wasn't the best, but hopefully I can change their minds. I sit next to Novalee and they sit opposite of us. The waiter returns and takes their drink orders. Once the waiter leaves, Nova's dad breaks the silence. "Do you drink, Christian?" I hear the accent in his voice, my dad has one too. Only Nova's dad is way better than mine in every way.

He ordered a drink just now. Beer. His favorite. Nova may have texted me lists of things her parents like and dislike in the past hour. She wants them to like me just as much as I do. "Uh, sometimes. I usually don't during the season, it messes with my body too much," I say truthfully. Why lie anyway? "Season?" He asks curiously, setting down his menu.

"Football season, sir," I answer. He raises his eyebrows a bit and then nods. "Despite being Swedish, I actually love American football. Who's your favorite team?" He asks me. I smile. Okay good, we have something in common. "I grew up a Falcons fan of course, but moving to California, I've enjoyed the Rams lately," I admit. "The Rams are my favorite team," Nova's mom chimes into the conversation.

Her dad rolls his eyes. "My mom is from here," Nova tells me. I didn't know that. "Great taste, Mrs. Johänson," I say. She smiles and then her husband says, "I'm a New Orleans Saints fan." I nod my head, "They're a great team." I'm surprised they actually like football since Novalee knows nothing about the sport. I think I'll get her to start watching it more.

"So what are you planning on doing after college, Christian?" Novalee's mom asks. I don't hesitate. "Well I'm still deciding. I've had the opportunity to declare for the NFL Draft after this year, but I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to go or finish off my senior year," I say smoothly. Both of their eyes have widened and I look at Nova. She's smiling at them. "So then college football is not just some hobby for you? You have the opportunity to make a living off of it?" Her father asks.

I nod my head. "Yessir. Although if it doesn't work out, I have my Econ degree to help me out. I plan on staying in school even if I do decide to go pro next year," I smile. It's starting to sound like reality. Playing pro football and still getting my economics degree. It's going to be challenging, but not impossible. Her dad nods, impressed, I hope. The waiter returns with their drinks and we all finally order.

"Sounds like you've got a well planned vision of your future, Christian," I nod "where do you see my daughter in it?" Novalee chokes on her drink a bit at her dads question. "Dad!" She says. He looks at his daughter, "What?" I place a hand on her thigh and shake my head at her. "It's fine, Novalee." I smile reassuringly. I turn back to her dad, "Obviously I want her in my future, if she wants to be in it then she will be. Always." I smile at her. Nova returns it and I only wish I can kiss her right now.

"She might get very busy, though. Her career will involve maybe lots of traveling and moving as will yours. Long distance is hard." Both Novalee and I look at her mom who says this. She's right and I never thought about that until now, but I think we can make it work. It'll definitely be tough, but I don't think I can imagine myself with anyone other than Nova right now.

"Of course it'll be tough, but I always work hard for what I want and I want to be with her. Life's not a fairytale, I think Nova and I both know that." She squeezes my hand under the table and I look towards her. She's trying to hide her smile. "I hope so. She deserves someone who will give her everything she deserves," Her mother says, looking towards her daughter.

Nova smiles at her mom this time. "Have you ever had a girlfriend you cheated on, Christian?" Nova, her mom, and I all look towards her father. "Dad!" Nova says for the second time tonight. Shit. I chuckle nervously, "Actually, I've never had a girlfriend before Novalee. So, no," I say truthfully. The only reason I'm nervous to admit it is because they might think I don't know how to be in a real relationship.

Truth is, I don't. I'm fucking winging it. I think I'm doing a good job so far though, right? "Never? Not once?" Her father asks. I shake my head, "No." I don't know what they think of this, of me. "Well certainly that has to be a mistake. You're very handsome, you've had to have a girlfriend at one point in your life." Nova's mom says.

Unless they consider the girls I've had sex with as girlfriends then, no. I've been single all my 21 years of life. I'm definitely not stupid enough to mention those women though, so I don't. "Well thank you, but it's true. I've just never met a girl I like enough to call my girlfriend. Also college has shifted my priorities, so I don't have much time for one," I say. "But he has time for me, obviously. And he cannot get enough of me." Nova adds.

Very, very true.

"We're just trying to figure you out, kid. Her ex-boyfriend was nice when we met him, just like you and then he broke her heart. More than once," Nova's dad says sternly. "I'm nothing like him. I've met the prick, trust me." Her parents look at each other and then back at me. "How have you met Devon?" Nova's mom looks at her. "Were you speaking to him again?" She asks, worry in her voice.

My girlfriend shakes her head quickly. "No! Do you guys remember Cgc?" She asks them and they both nod. "Funny story, not only does he go to Oak Hill, but he's also Christian's roommate and teammate. He still talks to our friends from high school and they came to see him a while ago, Devon included. So, Chris met him.." Her last sentence is lower than the rest.

"I didn't know about him until after her old friends started bashing her for Devon cheating on her." I roll my eyes, remembering the event. I wanted to do something about it, but Cgc stepped in before I could. It kind of bothered me that he defended her, but now I realize it was from jealousy. I've liked her for a while so seeing another guy defend her didn't sit right with me. "They all came at you?" Her father says to her.

Her arm is intertwined through mine now and she nods her head. "Cgc defended me though. He kicked them out afterward." She smiles softly. Her mom does too, but her dad still looks pissed. I wish her stupid ex was never brought up. "I always liked him." Her mom says about Cgc. Great.

"Cgc would probably beat me up if I hurt Novalee and trust me when I say, I'm kind of terrified of him. So I'll avoid that any day," I tell them. Then I add, "Plus, the thought of hurting her can't even cross my own mind. I'd beat myself up if I could if I ever hurt her," I say honestly.

"So then can I ask you something?" Her father says. I nod my head quickly, "Anything, sir." He takes a drink from his beer first. He says, "You love my daughter? I assume that's why you're taking her home to meet your parents for Christmas." He says. I feel Nova tense up around me. She pulls away from my arm and sits up straight. Shit. I can't tell them the real truth about why she's coming with me. Also, he just asked me if I love his daughter.

"His parents are divorced," Nova blurts out before I can say anything. "They don't get along well but Chris likes when they can all get together for the holidays." She's lying and right now, I don't care that what she's saying is way off. I don't know if I could've came up with anything. "Yes, I'm going to meet them but also for emotional support. It's hard for him to see his parents argue and such. He thinks if I go, maybe they won't so much," She finishes.

She forgot to answer the first question he asked me.

"I didn't want to steal her away from you guys on Christ-"

"I offered to go. You didn't 'steal' me. I'll catch a flight down for New Years. New Years in New Orleans is amazing." Her smile is bright as she looks from me to her parents. Her mom looks towards me like she feels bad. "I'm sorry, Christian," Her mom says. If only she knew the real reason, maybe she'd be even more sorry. But I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me.

"Maybe you'll come down to New Orleans on New Years too? We'll show you a real party there," Her father adds. He's looking at me. My muscles finally loosen. I don't know if it's because he's actually willing to give me a a chance or my sob story made them feel bad, but it's a step forward. I'll take it. I look down at Nova who's smiling just like me.

"Oh he'll come." She speaks for me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 7.5K 41
Gabriella and Greyson It was always all about them from the beginning. Both in high-school, Grey is the most popular boy in school. Of course with...
307K 4.8K 71
(All FSU series) Book 1 18+ Camila Estella Rodriguez~ new college student, newly single, on a path of self discovery, goes on vacation with her girl...
2.1M 58.6K 34
Gabriella lives a beyond perfect life with her mom, her sister and her boyfriend of two years. She's finally at a place in her life where she is hap...
1.1M 31.7K 34
Emma also known as "panther" is the best street fighter in her state and it doesn't help having a abusive dad. But she is also her schools biggest ne...