When Life Gave a Second Chanc...

By Aishwarya5007

Arpana could hear guests murmuring about the bride swap and the judgemental talks on how it is her second mar... More

Plot & Cast (updated version)
Chapter 1 - Is it fate ?
Chapter 2 - Is fate to be blamed again ?
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 (paining hearts)
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Not an update
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Not an Update
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Not an update (help needed)
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
not an update
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue
(Nandini's story - part 1)
Nandini's Story (part 2)
Final Bonus Chapter
Sequel ?
Official Sequel

Chapter 4 - And it happened ...

22.7K 1K 90
By Aishwarya5007

The Ramakrishna family was very excited and happy today as it is Sakshi's wedding day. The whole house was fully decorated. Everyone was having so much fun celebrating the pre-wedding functions. Lots of relatives, friends and neighbours had arrived and congratulated the bride and brought gifts for her as well. One of the best catering services was booked to serve the most delicious food and sweets.

Even though Damini was still bitter towards Arpana, she invited Arpana's family. As Sakshi invited Arpana, she joined the functions that were happening before the marriage for which Damini was not happy about it. According to Damini's family traditions, a widow attending weddings is seen as a bad omen for the bride and groom. Damini did scold Sakshi for inviting Arpana but she didn't want to create a scene in front of the guests. 

Arpana too tried to enjoy the day as much as she could and was genuinely happy for Sakshi, even though she had a doubt on why Damini was making her daughter marry someone who has already married once. This wedding function was giving a flashback of her wedding day. Memories of her wedding day kept on flashing her in mind. The day Arpana and Vihan became one. They were so happy that day because, after facing so many obstacles finally they got married and became one. 

"The groom and his family are here!!!" Arpana heard someone saying making her come out of trance. They were right. The guests were standing at the main door to welcome the groom and his family. Even though Arpana had seen the groom through some pictures, it was the first time seeing him in real life. Damini was right. He looked very handsome in Arpana's eyes. Just perfect for Sakshi. However, one thing Arpana noticed was that he didn't look happy; she could feel the coldness in his eyes... 

Arpana then got herself busy with a few things, as she was helping the catering services settle, she was called in by Damini into Sakshi's room. Arpana's family, Vihan's family, Arjun and his family stood there with tensed expressions. Well, except Arjun as he looked Happy. 

Arpana understood that something wasn't right.

"What happened? Why are you crying dad? (Referring to Vihan's dad). Damini then handed a piece of paper over to Arpana. 

                                                         Papa, Amma and Arjun's Family,

 I am very sorry everyone. I am in love with someone else. I would've told Papa and Amma but because Nikhil is from another caste, I know how much drama there will be. I don't have time and effort to face all the battles. So instead I thought it is better to just elope. Please don't come searching for us. Let us live peacefully. Also Arjun, I am very sorry for running away on our wedding day. If you feel like I have made you a scapegoat in any way I am ever so sorry. I had no option. I hope you won't be too affected by this as we don't know each other that well...

Once again I am sorry to hurt you all. I hope you will be able to forgive me.

                                                                        - Sakshi

Arpana was very shocked; Arpana never knew Sakshi loved someone else.... 

"This girl has ruined the reputation of two families!!! This is such an insult for us" Arjun's father shouted. 

"Look Mr Ravinath. We had no idea that our daughter would do something bad. Just like you we are shocked as well." Vihan's father replied. 

"I had requested many times to make this wedding a low key affair as it is the second marriage of our son but you justified it saying that she's your only daughter and it's your dream to make her wedding grand. We agreed because from your side, it is right. Now we have to pay the price of it. You will have to pay a big price for this!!!" Mr Ravinath screamed in anger making Damini and her husband worried and nervous. However, Arjun stood there expressionless...

"Revathy it is your entire fault. You were the one who was so adamant to get our son married to this girl. Look what happened now!!" Ravinath said, referring to his wife. Even she didn't know what to do now. They didn't want their reputation to be tarnished. Just then Damini's eye's caught the attention of Devi (Arpana's sister) "to save both the families, shall we get Devi married to Arjun?" Damini's statement froze Arpana's parents Lalitha and Indrajith for a second. 

"No way!! Devi is too young to get married. Also we don't want Devi to get married as a replacement bride and Damini, isn't Devi and Arjun from different cultures and caste? You were the one who protested the most for Arpana's and Vihan's marriage saying they were from different caste and culture" Arpana's mom Lalitha explained. 

"Lalitha I agree, I made a few mistakes then but now at this moment I think reputation is more important than anything else. Please Lalitha and Indrajith, please save us." Damini pleaded to Arpana's parents. Devi was clutching onto the ends of her dupatta in worry. Arjun was 32 years old and she was only 21 years old. The 11 years difference was too much for Devi. 

"We are very sorry Damini, we can't help you at this time. First of all Devi is too young and between Devi and Arjun there is a 11 years gap and also Devi is not mentally ready for a marriage. We don't want to push her into anything." Devi and Arpana were both relieved hearing this, Arpana definitely didn't want her sister to be a replacement bride and marry Arjun.

For the first time Arjun spoke "I don't want to marry a girl who’s so younger either. Mom, dad let’s go home. I can't tolerate this nonsense anymore." 

"Please, please don't leave. We don't want our reputation to be ruined in this society" Damini cried. "If it is okay for everyone else, we are happy to get Arpana married to Arjun today," Intrajith said, creating a wave of shock in Arpana. Arjun was frustrated now with all these bridal suggestions. After Anjali's (his first wife) death Arjun had taken a strong decision to not remarry as Anjali is still in his heart but because of the threats and manipulation from his family Arjun had no choice. When he found out Sakshi ran away, he was happy more than anyone else. 

"Who is Arpana?" Revathy asked. "Arpana is our eldest daughter; she is 26, an economics graduate. We don't want to hide anything so we want to let you know everything about Arpana. She is the widow of Damini's son Vihan. He was working in the navy. Vihan died in a gas leak in 2014. If you’re interested, we are happy to give our daughter's hand in marriage." Intrajith said, pointing at Arpana. He was taking advantage of the situation very well.

Arpana felt betrayed, angry and sad seeing her parents taking advantage of the situation. Revathy and Ravinath glanced at Arpana. They were satisfied with Arpana's background. Just like their son, Arpana had also married once which they found as something good. 

Excuse me, Revathy and Arjun for a second Arjun's father said and went to another room to discuss. 

Arpana walked up to her father, clutched the collars of his shirt and asked him why he is doing this to her "Arpana, please don't create a scene now. From what we know, they're a good family. If you love your parents, sister and most importantly Vihan then you will agree for this marriage” he said. Damini then approached Arpana and said "Arpana, I know very well that words or actions cannot be taken back but please forgive me and marry Arjun. By agreeing for this marriage, you are saving two families and you will be able to step into a beautiful life" Arpana didn't know what to say at this moment. Everyone was requesting her. She genuinely wished that she didn't attend this marriage. 

In the other room more threats and manipulation were going on. They were trying to force Arjun into this marriage. "Fine but let me speak to Arpana at least before I tie the knot" Arjun requested but his parents didn't agree. "The auspicious time is approaching. We don't want more time to be wasted" Revathy said, Arjun was fuming with anger now. When the Varma happily informed their willingness to get Arpana married to Arjun, Arpana's family also rejoiced in joy. Arpana felt helpless, she wanted to object but she felt very weak, her mouth felt dry, no words were coming out when she tried to speak. Only tears were escaping from her eyes... 

"Arpana go and get dressed in Sakshi's wedding saree and jewellery. We don't have much time left" Damini instructed Arpana. 

Devi and Lalitha helped Arpana to drape the saree, Arpana was reluctant to wear all the jewellery therefore she just wore one simple necklace, earrings, hip chain, some bangles and nethi chutti. Jasmine flowers were also clipped onto her neatly plaited hair. Arpana looked elegant in the simple look. 

Arpana you have time, go and say no before it gets too late". Arpana advised her reflection on her mirror. 

She couldn't believe a stranger was going to tie the knot with her today. She felt disgusted not being able to remain loyal to Vihan.... She felt like a betrayer. Never did she expect something like this would happen today. Arpana cried thinking of her helplessness. Seeing her cry, Devi came up to her and tried to comfort her. "Arpana Please don't cry, I'm sure a beautiful life is waiting for you. Please give Arjun a chance. You might find the qualities of Vihan Anna in him" Arpana hugged Devi tightly just as she finished her sentence and cried and cried pouring her heart out. 

Her life was going to be changed today forever.... 

"Devi, bring Arpana to the mandap..." Lalitha said to which Devi nodded. 

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hope you all liked this chapter 

So our hero has made his first appearance today. So far do you have an opinion of him ? 

Will Arpana ever be able to love Arjun like she loved Vihaan and in the same way would Arjun be able to love Arpana like he loved Anjali ? 

Opinion of this chapter?

Do you reckon Arjun might have an child? 

Thank you for taking you time to read this chapter, if you liked it leaving a comment or vote would mean a lot !!! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 7.2K 43
Two people completely in love and inseparable but ......one big incident changed their life and they got separated.... what will happen when dest...
31.3K 3.1K 14
#7 in short story ??? #10 in short story 9 : 3 : 2018 #15 in short story?? A pinch of vermilion and nuptial chain can bring two souls together by a r...
525K 21.1K 39
# 1 in General Fiction as on 11-03-2017 A Gasp escapes my mouth looking at my accidental husband kissing those three girls one after other ...... Tea...
46.3K 1.7K 25
"Sana... I don't know how to say this but.. this marriage means nothing to me, if...if you want you can divorce me after 6 months. I am sorry I spoil...