30. The Road Where We Meet

Nandini

Every time I step foot in my parents' house, or practically my house until a few years ago- I can't help appreciating their taste on elegance. But, only the elegance. And maybe the interior designer, I guess. But it's just- it never feels like home. More like a high class criminal court to summon yourself to once in a while, at least considering the situation where I am forced to be here right at this moment. In an afternoon when Mumbai dangerously gestures to dark cloud, electricity in the grey sky. Perhaps some rain.

"Nandini, hi!" Amrita, my parents PA greeted me with a very professional smile, "Mr. and Mrs. Murthy are waiting for you in their study. Mr. Mehta's there too!"

"I know," I smiled back tightly. Only if she knew how well I knew, well-

"Oh, great," she collected a transparent umbrella from a corner, "I was about to head out. Don't know how bad it's gonna rain today, or tomorrow or day after tomorrow- but see you!"

I nodded. She passed me on her way towards the main gate.

I exhaled, then inhaled every bit of energy I could muster for myself. Positive energy, only if that was possible in here. I took my first step to start walking, but my phone started ringing.

The sigh of a relief came almost immediately as I saw the caller ID, and hit answer.

"Hey, looks like it's another thunder night," Manik's casually intimidating voice relaxed me abruptly, "When are you gonna head back? Can we um, spend the night together? Perhaps some movies and homemade pizza, and stuff?"

"I was hoping we could, actually," I bit my lips. Well, after last night, at least.

I didn't know what game we were playing. Or supposed to be playing. But one thing I knew for sure- it was dangerous. And yet, I couldn't wait to go on.

What is wrong with me? I was never the one playing games with, at least life.

"That sounds good," I could almost hear the smirk on his lips, see his hand move at the back of his neck this exact moment, "But when are you gonna come in?"

"In an hour, I'm hoping," I sighed, "Wish me luck, though,"

"All the best- is it a tough one?"

"Very," I gulped, "This case seems- critical,"

"Well, give your life and soul in it. That's what you do to save people, right?" He said, "And after that... I can't wait to see you, Nandini,"

Even from kilometres away, he was giving me chills everywhere, "Is that so?"

"I'm pretty sure that is it," his voice lowered, "I can't wait to further with this little game of ours,"

"You can't seduce me before entering such a serious situation," I shot my attempt at chuckling. But his never came.

"Seduction or not, I meant every word I said," he murmured, "And you know what those words mean,"

"Do I know what game we're playing? No, I think," I said.

"Do I know what I want to do with you tonight? Yes, I think,"

My-

"Manik," I breathed. I didn't know impassive and straight-up was this, sexy. In real life, I mean.

Literature, then, really does mean shit.

"You can't take my name like that and stay silent, Nandini," a sigh of desperation was heard from his side, "I need you home the minute you're out of that operation. Is it gonna be one of the long and tiring ones?"