17: The Friendship 'In the Dark'

Manik

"And let's keep the mehendi pastel?" 

"Arreh no yaar!"

"Why not? We had already settled on it last time!"... Distinct conversations like that filled my ears time to time as I sat a little away from a group of people discussing Alya and Dhruv's wedding, again. We were all in Mukti's house, even Dhruv has come in wheel chair. It was really a matter of great wonderment how these people are discussing this same one wedding for last one year now- and yet every damn time there are new notes, new colors, new functions. 

Too many functions.

And now that it has turned into a destination wedding- everyone's excitement was on another level.

I chose to get myself comfortable in the dining area instead, with my laptop and a cup of strong coffee. I finally have a good feeling about my writing again- even if it was trash most of the time I was at least actively doing it. Editing could happen later. 

It felt good to do this. This- writing out things. Specially when I was somehow personally relating myself with it. That was the reason why I started to write in the first place, some years ago.

And talking about that- Nandini Murthy just strode inside the house, shouting apologies for being late. She was wearing a grey cotton kurti, hair tied in a low ponytail which looked pretty messed up, with a usual pair of silver 'jhumka'. Even though her body language vibrated energy and good spirit, as always- she definitely looked tired.

As she joined others on the living area, her eyes found me on the way and she passed me a smile. I nodded my head, mouthing a 'tired?'

She shook her head, settling with others. I sighed.

"So, Mr. Hot Shot author," I heard Cabir's voice approaching me, "What's up?"

I flushed a wide smile, "Was fine till now, really. Now that you're here to eat my head-"

"Me? Nah," he chuckled, settling on a chair beside me, "Nandini's doing that all right,"

I chocked, almost spilling the coffee over my laptop, "What, Cabir?"

"Relax!" Cabir laughed, patting on my back, " I just took her name,"

I glared at him, looking around before telling him straight, "Listen, there's nothing between me and Nandini okay?"

"Okay so when did I say there was?" Cabir took the mug from me and taking a small sip, struck out his tongue and made faces, "How raw can you have coffee man! Yuk,"

I thought of ignoring him, because there practically was nothing between Nandini and I, right?

"By the way, Manik, arreh listen na bro,"

"Hmm," 

"How about we all go clubbing this weekend?" Cabir said, "You know- hang out, let loose a little,"

"Sounds like a plan," I said back coolly. I myself felt the dire need to let it loose a little, after everything that had been happening past one month. Working out did relax me bits everyday, but a little booze wouldn't hurt after all.

"Whatcha doing?" 

I turned around hearing Nandini's voice. She peeked at my laptop screen, causing me to abruptly shut it off. Smirking, she raised her eyes, "Are you working on the second book?"

"No, I'm designing Alya's wedding lehenga," I shot her a look, "What else would I do?"

"Don't worry, I hate spoilers anyways," she went inside the kitchen, "Cabir you want some coffee?"