54 (a). Manik Malhotra, August 22, 2011.

"I knew we got this, Mukti!" 

I roared over the cheering room, hugging my best friend tight. The musicana trophy struck between us and we laughed, breaking apart. 

"I still can't believe we won" she jumped up and down and the room cheered for us once more. It was our night. Finally, it was our first Musicana win. 

"Come on, let's get swamped tonight!" Krushal, one of my band mates dragged me through the buzzing crowd and loud music. Our entire college seemed to be here to celebrate our win. 

I grinned stupid with everyone, embraced everyone, cheered and took a shot with anyone who offered. I'm sure Nyeonika won't be mad at me tonight. Man, I never knew I could be this happy.

Speaking of mom, though...

"I can't believe mom and dad missed our final performance!" I screamed into Mukti's ear as we finally rounded into a corner. I settled down on a mattress, sipping our beers. 

"Yeah, well. It is a little surprising," she replied in the same vocal, side eyeing a tall hunk of senior of ours that I couldn't recall the name off. I shook my head. 

"Please don't do something stupid tonight!" I begged, mentally groaning at the possibilities. She turned back at me, grinning guilty, "Nope, tonight's too special to be wasting with a random guy. Just checking him out for later!"

She winked at me, and I shook my head. 

Mukti soon vanished into the crowd again, cheering and dancing with a bottle in her hand. I finished the bottle of beer in my hand and decided, no more drinks tonight. I already had no clue how many shots I had taken, and at least one of had to stay sober enough to drop her home safe. Considering the warning I heard from Astha aunty before landing here, it had to be me. 

My subconscious mind trailed off to my parents instead. No, they were being weird. They have never missed one minor school function my entire life, and this was Musicana. Out of all the five rounds in the competition, they only attended twice. And tonight was the final. 

I won, and they weren't there to see it. Something was definitely off. 

Now that I thought about it, I should speak to them. Something has been off since a month or two now. They're always late home. They're distracted. Specially... dad. When was the last time I saw him like, normal? 

Mom said it was the stress from his running project. Either way, it wasn't going so well. 

Maybe I should turn in early tonight, cheer them up with the trophy-

My Nokia buzzed in my pocket. It was mom.

"Finally!" I screamed into the phone, walking towards a balcony, "Nyeonika, I won! I won Musicana mom!"

"Where are you?" her voice sounded stiff, pressed. I frowned, "We're celebrating at Kunal's house. Why-"

"I need you to come home," she said urgently, her voice shaking,"Right now, Manik,"

Alarm went off on my somewhat dizzying head, "Mom, what's wrong? I'm a little-"

"Don't ask questions!" she hissed over the phone, as if she was afraid someone might hear her, "Manik, just come. As fast as you can, I don't care where the hell you are-"

"Mom, are you okay? Dad-"

"Just come!" she pressed on, "And don't tell anyone,"

The line cut off. I stared at my phone, realizing I wasn't seeing the digits that straight. 

She sounded like she was panicking. But why the secrecy? What the hell could've happened? Worry filled me with unpleasant possibilities. Was anyone sick? Dad?