27. Their Fucked Up Reality that They Understood

Nandini

The evening was spent surprisingly good, despite the fact that Madhav Mehta was roaming in Alya's house without any sort of invitation and the fact that I had to pretend like there's no Manik Malhotra in the world, for my own sake, and his too.

Which proved to be way harder than doing the first one.

The first time I had seen his face this afternoon- I knew that he finally knew everything. The shock, confusion and the sudden strike of guilt that crossed his face when he saw me- clearly indicated to that. So they must've told him.

He could ask them for the explanation, but couldn't hear me out?

That too, when the explanation was about me and I was the one supposed to explain.

You had your chance to explain since last one month- the echo inside me bubbled out. I chose to ignore, however right it was. If Manik Malhotra could play pretend, then why couldn't I?

Even I could pretend like it didn't fucking matter, no?

Yes, I could. And hell yes, I knew very well that Manik Malhotra was pretending last night. He fucking cared. It all mattered to him. However much he tried to prove himself to be the impassive heartless bastard I knew this one time, he did care. I didn't know how I knew. I just knew. And I didn't like it.

Why would I know him this much?

And why the hell would I expect him to know me and why, why deep down I did know that he knew me?

I closed my eyes as something in my heart slightly trembled.

Relax, Nandini. Manik Malhotra doesn't exist right now. Relax.

But he does- the truthful echo said back- and he's right in front of you. Staring at you from the far corner of the room, maybe after a very long time praying redemption-

No. No.

"Nandini!"

"What?" I jerked up, looking around. Not only Manik, but apparently everyone in the room was now staring at me. I looked at a frowning Alya, "What?"

"Where are you so lost?" She asked shortly, "We've been calling you,"

"Oh, sorry," I cleared my throat, "I zoned out. Where were we?"

I just hoped Manik Malhotra's blazing eyes would stop smoldering me, and allow me some redemption, too. This was too much.

"So, Mr. Malhotra," Madhav spoke over a heavy chaos in the dining table, which went evidently silent, "I heard you are working on your second project?"

Manik spared me a glance, and continued to eat ,"Well, yeah I am,"

"It must be very hertic," Madhav continued in his dignified voice, "I mean, handling business then going on with the creative work and all,"

Mukti Alya and I exchanged perplexed, worried looks. I think I know what he was getting at, and it was no good-

"Sorry, but what business are you talking about? I'm only busy with my book right now,"

"Aahh, Mr. Malhotra, you're just being modest," The smile Madhav plastered in his mouth was well-known irritating, "I have some association with Malhotra's Empire, you know. It's running very well, the shares are also high rating for a long time now,"

Mukti's fork hit her plate with a clank. That was the only sound made in the room for next few seconds, because everyone was too stunned to move or eat.