7. His Lines, My Notes

Nandini:

Most of our young girl's gang was sitting scattered everywhere in Alya's massive bedroom, watching as the lady of the night got herself ready for the night.

While I sat beside Alya in front of the mirror, trying to curl my hair when Manik Malhotra kept curling himself back into my head.

What just happened some hours ago..

I shut my eyes closed, refusing my mind to go near that memory. But it surely did go near that memory and when it really did, my heart did a sudden somersault.

"Nandi! You're gonna burn your hair idiot! Open your eyes!"

I did, hearing Alya's squeal. She looked at me through the mirror, frowning, "Seriously, you're behaving slightly weird now. What's wrong?"

When the vivid memory of Manik Malhotra's mouth an inch away from mine, under the shower while my body brushed against his bare chest- yes, Alya; that was what was wrong with me.

I shook my head, "My best friend's getting engaged. I'm nervous,"

"Yeah, right!" Mukti laughed behind Alya, fixing a neck piece, "My little sister is getting married before me. I'm nervous,"

Alya rolled her eyes, "Not my fault you can't get over your one night policy, Mukti,"

I physically laughed and mentally sighed, wondering if that's what Manik also wanted from it. One night.

But why am I even thinking about it? I couldn't manage even one night.

"Hey Nandini," Navya came from somewhere in the room, holding a navy blue lehenga in her front, "What are you wearing? Blue or black?"

"Blue and black both," I smiled rather excitedly, "Navy blue saree with black blouse,"

It was the theme: 'Do it Blue or Do it Black'. But that wasn't what I was excited about-

Alya mentioned it before I could, "And do you know it's the one Deepika Padukone wore in the song Badtameez Dil?"

"What?" Several voices asked at the same time. Alya and I grinned at each other.

"It wasn't exactly planned," I exclaimed, "Alya took me to the Manish Malhotra's for my outfit. I mean, I already knew where it came from when they showed us the saree. I immediately took it, and before I could, the assistant herself mentioned: do you know Deepika Padukone actually wore it in Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani?"

"And since Deepika and YJHD, both stand for our most favorites- we literally started screaming inside there,"

Just as everyone was laughing, my phone started beeping on the table. I picked it up: the caller ID promptly degrading my mood.

Alya noticed that, because she again frowned at me through the mirror. Sighing, I showed her the caller ID.

"I'll go get ready and come back," I said quietly, and didn't wait for her to nod when I left the room.

I slid the white button, "Hello, Amma,"

"Well, hello to you too," my mother, Shweta Murthy, greeted me with her sugary annoyed voice, like always. "You didn't think of giving us an update about the conference when you came back, did you?"

I closed my eyes, trying desperately not to let the unpleasantness of her voice get into my nerves, "I've already sent the papers, Amma. Besides, I'm quite busy on my best friend's engagement party,"

"Sure, sure." She said in a mocking voice, "Please tell Alya sweetheart we are sorry that we couldn't make it,"

I chuckled, "No need, Amma. Trust me, a lot of us aren't sorry at all,"