LXIX

Can tightened his hands around the steering wheel as the sounds of Metin attempting to calm him remained futile. Miles of meaningless scenery passed as the car sped through the city.

"Sakin, I'd also like to get there in one piece." Metin warned.

Skyline turned to scenic views in a matter of minutes as even having to stop at a traffic light sent the tension in the vehicle to boiling point. The short trip felt like forever.

Through the sights of branches and the change between asphalt and cobblestone, the pickup shook, adapting to the variety of landscape. Metin stretched up, grasping onto the handle on the roof but Can looked onward, unfazed and decisive. 

Ever so slightly, the roads flooded his consciousness again as the limitless time away gave him a nostalgic air. Despite this, the impression didn't ignite any positive reaction within him. His gut feeling was too sodden with a thick, tar-like dread. 

His eyes gazed up at the canopy as he drove onward and the dense foliage above him reminded him of their proximity. Biting his lip furiously with apprehension, the lanes connected and the driveway appeared. The familiar approach would have warmed his heart if it wasn't under such circumstances.

The racket of gravel crunched at the tires and the grey car came to a sudden holt as Can took the keys out of the ignition. Before the two of them exited the vehicle, both Aziz and Osman ran in their direction.

"Can, I-" Osman started.

"Do you know where she is?" He raised his eyebrows, slamming the car door.

"No, but-"

"Which way the car went? What he's wearing?"

"Hayır, I'm sorry, I should've been here. I just took a break for like a moment."

Can put his hand on his shoulder. "You should've been here... but so should I. You shouldn't have done everything 24/7."

At that moment, Aziz caught up with the three of them and nodded at Metin, standing behind Can.

"If anything it's my fault, she was right there-."

Can gestured his hands firmly. "Stop this. It's nobody's fault. We just need to get wherever he is and find out what he's planning before it's too late and something happens."

All of them were still for a second.

"Okay, so what do we know? Tell me what happened exactly."

Metin squinted against the sunlight and watched Osman cautiously as he began to discuss what happened.

"I walked with my sister and Mihriban, just to get some things from the market. I wasn't going to be a long time but I thought Sanem would stay inside like she always does after lunch. Aziz was outside the whole time, I thought she would be okay. I was only out for 30-40 minutes so it has only been nearly two hours since I left... We will find her."

"He's fucking clever, did you see him?" Can asked Aziz.

"Not at first, my guess was it was about two minutes since I last saw her until I looked back and she wasn't there. I searched the entire house and then I rang Osman and then you. I think everyone who needs to know is aware now."

"Where is Ayhan and Mihriban?"

Just as Can asked, their two silhouettes appeared on the hillside and strolled down the entranceway, the early signs of a sunset appearing between the branches behind them.

"It's only her..."

"Where do you think they could have gotten by now?" Metin furrowed his brow.