IX

There was no turning back now. Can had made his decision.

Sanem looked up at him, studying his face. 

To any stranger or unknowing onlooker, his appearance could seem cold; harsh even. He did have an intimidating outlook. The way he stood, his gait, his height and width, his facial hair.

But she saw Can.

She saw the softness behind the dark gaze, she understood his love, his pain, his suffering. Sanem was always aware when he was hurt like a wounded animal. 

She felt it.

It was more than just a physical connection.

When she looked upon him, it was only his eyes that remained unchanged, coloured a deep brown that was darker than the summer's heat, yet she found love when she looked into them. Even in their difficult times, she had always seen glimpses of this look coating the surface of his view. 

In that one glance, it gave her the confidence she needed. Even for just a few seconds. 

Their hands still woven into each other, fingers entwined. It made her comfortable.

It took all of him to look away from her. His determination to finally say what he'd been waiting to all those weeks clearly showed through his actions. He was looking straight ahead, head astute, ready to address the crowd.

She couldn't look away, but more than that, she didn't want to. Staring at his obstinate confidence in awe, the sickly anxiety in her stomach subsided. He was so openly proud of them.

He had always told her that their relationship was nothing to be embarrassed about. They loved each other and that was all that mattered.  He had never been embarrassed for them, if anything, he was devoted. He wanted to scream from the rooftops that they were together from the very beginning. He had felt like he had been restrained, not announcing his adoration.

But now, he had found a key to those shackles. 

An opportunity.

If he had ever known failure in his life, it didn't show. Everything from the way he held himself, to the way he spoke, to that look of unconquerable confidence in his eye said he could do it.  

"Listen up everyone, because I'm going to announce something."

For the few who hadn't noticed, which were very few, they quickly popped their necks around so they could see Can. There were a lot of faces for such a small room so people pushed and shoved others to try and get the best view that they could.

Deren's face was laced with trepidation, her body almost knew where this was going. She brushed her shoulder length hair behind her ears carefully and touched up her lipstick around her mouth with her finger.

A lull filled the air. 

The anticipation from the crowd gave out a nervous kind of energy.

He wasn't slumped at all; his body was clearly too muscular for that, yet it was just as relaxed as his face. A hidden smile emerged from his lips.

"I'm going to clear up any rumours." Can stated, casually gazing around the room to acknowledge everyone. "We... I mean Sanem and I... We are together." 

Sanem's chest felt as if it did a little flip. 

Now everybody knew.

A million thoughts clattered around her head.

Her love for him was fixed but she had a love hate relationship with his stubbornness. Understanding his hatred of hiding, she knew he wanted to get the burden off his shoulders as soon as possible but it was little irritating. He promised that he would wait until she could tell her parents.