XXV

The three of them stood in silence.

What did she just say?

"She's in your area? Are you sure?" The expression of horror resonated on Can's face as he wiped his beard with concern. "Is she there now?"

Sanem made him wait, pointing her index finger as she listened to her phone call.

"No, she just left... that's why she rang." Sanem's eyes widened. "Can, she heard about the engagement."

His teeth met in anger. "For fucks sake."

"What is she trying to do?" Metin chimed in quietly, a little cautious at his friend's frustration.

"I don't know..." Can grumbled. "I know her tricks, she has something planned. Either that or she will ruin this for us." He looked up from his lap to Sanem.

"What do you mean Can?"

"Sanem, why else would she go to your neighbourhood? She's trying to stir something up."

She held her phone closer to her ear. "Can, I think she was trying to convince Annem to not allow us to get married... She was trying to talk to her about calling off the engagement."

Her brow furrowed in dismay.

"Bak, you see." He engaged Metin, his expression furious now. "What position is she in to start making decisions on my behalf?"

"Tamam Abi, sakin."

"Hayir Metin. I can't deal with this anymore." He rose from his seated position. "My entire life, the only thing she has given me were problems. I can't have her interfering anymore, I want her out of my life."

Sanem ended the call. "Can, sakin. We'll work this out."

"I'm going to find her." He moved to walk towards the door but Sanem caught him in time.

"Can, can! She hasn't affected us at all yet. My mum is still supportive of the marriage so her attempts were useless anyway." She ushered him back to sit down. "We just need to stop this from happening again..."

The silence between them was the birthplace of new ideas. You could almost feel the variety of thoughts colliding with one another, given out by each other's heads. 

They were stumped, how on earth were they going to win when his mother was there at every turn almost forbidding their relationship?

Solemnly, the three of them sat immersed in their dead end minds when Can interjected. The conclusion he came to, enough to startle the both of them.

"Let's get married."

Metin and Sanem looked back at him in confusion.

"Can, isn't that the end goal here?" He questioned.

"Metin, sus." Can looked back to Sanem. "We should get married soon."

She squinted her eyes and spoke slowly. "How soon?"

"I don't know, but the sooner the better."

"Tamam, I agree, but either way she will find some opportunity to ruin it Can."

"I won't let that happen. It should be quiet enough that she won't notice." He acknowledged Metin. "We just need two witnesses and you and me. I don't care about the rest."

"So, you're suggesting we elope?" She smiled suggestively.

"Aynen." He smiled proudly. "Come here, give me a kiss."

Metin shot up like a dart. "Tamam, well I better be off. Nice to see you both."

The man appeared mortified as he scuttled out of the house, only for the door to not latch properly shut, held by another. Can pressed a firm, wet kiss against her lips, which were slightly parted at their efforts to not laugh from Metin's embarrassment.