XXII

He would have a birthday and that was that.

No matter how much he wanted to hide it.

She understood he didn't appreciate big fancy extravagant parties, neither did she to be honest, but they would have a celebration of some sorts. He couldn't just sweep it under the rug like these things never happened.

Sanem laughed to herself when she imagined him in his stubbornness, refusing to grow older as if that even affected how time works.

Now filled with a deep motivation, she stood up from her chair, ideas fluttering around her head like little birds. In the back of her head, she knew he didn't like surprises but this would be different. They would spend it together and believe it or not, he would enjoy the day.

"We need to plan something!" Sanem squealed excitedly.

It was a tad quiet with Emre's face falling.

"He won't want you doing that." He mumbled, his face barely looking up from his screen. 

If that was a warning, it was a very weak one.

"Biliyorum, biliyorum." She stated. "But I will do something he will like."

Emre looked up, suspicious but intrigued. "Like what?"

"Um..." She thought. "Maybe something small, more personal. There would be less reason for him to moan then."

He let out a retrained chuckle. "Right... well, that could work."

"I know it will work. We can't just do nothing for his birthday. I know if it was my birthday, he would do something for me so I'm not just letting this day pass by."

"Tamam, you're right." He closed the lid of the laptop. "So what are you planning then?

-

They both tried to be as quick as they could before Can made an appearance back home. 

It was the only time she had actually not wanted to see him, just a few more hours away and that would be perfect.

Sanem followed Emre's guidance and sorted through some old storage boxes filled with some dilapidated bits of tinsel and a few decorations.

"Is there anymore?" Sanem moaned.

"Doesn't look like it..."

She sighed in her annoyance. It was super easy to go and grab some herself but at that moment, it seemed as if she was housebound. Two scheming men keeping her under lock and key.

"I can go and get some if you wan-"

He shot her a knowing glance. "You know the answer to that question. Can will kill me."

"So you're under the order of your brother now?"

"Yes, unfortunately." He joked. "How about I'll order some online and you keep searching through these storage bins, there must be something else in here that we could use."

She nodded back to him and he walked to his laptop which remained in the garden.

Sanem was warming to Emre.

Time and time again, she found nothing but garbage in those boxes. The items inside were clearly precious to the family but they were the opposite to what she needed right now. There was a mixture of foreign currency, documents, medals, chargers, pencils. If you could think of anything, it was probably in there. The contents looked like a summary of Can.

Sighing in defeat, she put the unnecessary items back into their protective cases.

All but one.